Are honeybees safe with the use of endosulfan?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great minds think alike! - shall we play with him a little longer?

Further reading suggests it is SO toxic that it should be removed from use because there are no antidotes, -
"Endosulfan is capable of high lethality and significant morbidity. The commonest manifestations are neurological although other organ dysfunction also occurs. In the absence of effective antidotes, restriction of its availability, along with prompt treatment of toxicity, including preemptive anticonvulsant therapy are suggested"

Last edited:
"SUMMARY
Background

Endosulfan, commonly known by its trade name Thiodan, is an insecticide. It was first introduced in the 1950s. It is now out-of-patent, but AgrEvo (formerly Hoescht) is still the most important producer world-wide. Endosulfan is widely used, and is an important cause of pesticide poisoning in many countries. It is also extremely toxic to fish and other aquatic life.

Endosulfan is one of the class of compounds called organochlorines. This class of chemicals is the most important of the persistent organic pollutants or POPs. There is now a move for a world-wide ban on POPs because of their link to cancer and long-term subtle effects on hormones, the immune system, and reproduction. Unlike other POPS which travel across the globe, endosulfan tends to remain in the region of its use. Yet it has been found in high concentrations in many areas around the world because it is so widely used. The information below describes the environmental and health properties of endosulfan, and shows why it should be banned world-wide.

Short term toxicity

There is concern over the acute toxicity of endosulfan. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies endosulfan in Category 2 (moderately hazardous). The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) classifies it as Category Ib (highly hazardous) pesticide. It is readily absorbed by the stomach, by the lungs, and through the skin, meaning that all routes of exposure can pose a hazard.

Numerous cases of both suicidal and occupational poisonings have been reported. Proper protective clothing (safety goggles, gloves, long sleeves, long pants, respirator) is needed to prevent poisoning when handling endosulfan. (IPCS,1988) Before it was banned in the Philippines in the early 1990s, endosulfan had become the number one cause of pesticide poisonings. (NPCIC,1991) Another concern, especially in developing countries, is that people with diets low in protein may be more sensitive to the effects of this pesticide. (ATSDR,1993)

Long-term toxicity

Although the short-term toxicity of endosulfan is of immediate concern, there are also long-term effects to consider. There is some indication that endosulfan can have adverse effects on the immune system at low levels of exposure. (ATSDR,1993) There is mounting evidence that organochlorine compounds can act as hormones. These compounds, including DDT, PCBs, and endosulfan, may also be part of the cause for the decrease in the quality of semen, an increase in testicular and prostate cancer, an increase in defects in male sex organs, and increased incidence of breast cancer which has been observed in the last fifty years. (Hileman,1994; Soto,1993) Endosulfan has also been found to cause mutations. (ATSDR,1993)

Environmental Effects

Endosulfan is also a concern for environmental reasons: it is highly toxic to fish. Safe levels of endosulfan in water are measured in parts per trillion, e.g. European Union maximum acceptable level is 0.001 ug/l. (PRC,1994) Endosulfan can cause fish kills even when used at recommended application rates. Because of this, endosulfan should not be sprayed over marshlands or bodies of water. Caution should also be observed when spraying near ditches, canals, rivers, streams, ponds, and lakes. (IPCS,1988) Endosulfan is persistent in soil, and its major degradation product, endosulfan sulfate, is as toxic as endosulfan.(ASTDR,1993)

@ Hivemaker @ Brosville

You are surely paid well to keep up the aggression. Sorry but money can't get you brains.

Do you really know what is an organochlorine? Coz if you knew you wouldn't have proved yourself a paid looser.

Talk facts..warning you again.

http://www.who.int/whopes/quality/en/Endosulfan.pdf

Please open up your eyes read carefully. If you do not understand science, ask someone who does. Oh sorry! i forgot you are paid to act this way.
Still have a look.

paid...................
hysteria.gif

You are a hoot! - by whom would I be being paid?
hysteria.gif

Brossy and HM,

I know you are now having fun with this j--k, but I reckon it is time for Admin to pull his plug. I, for one have seen enough of his drivel.

Regards, RAB

You are a hoot

No...that would be an owl.....this one is definately a duck,Quack Quack.

I think so too - but I'd ask that the thread be left as an example to spammers that it's counter-productive.....

I'd ask that the thread be left

That's OK then. Trouble is the spammers don't look before spamming! Inconsiderate idiots is my opinion of them. Lowest of the low, and could slither underneath a grass snake. Particularly his type, pedalling 'icides'

Do you think he has got the message yet, and b*ggered off of his own accord? Nothing here for him. We are all in agreement, I would think.

Regards, RAB

As bees form a very important part in farming, please help me draw a factual conclusion about endosulfan and its impact on honey bees.

If you want a factual conclusion why don't you get the manufacturers (that's the guys who give you your paycheque at the end of every month) to pay for proper independant field trials? Oh, I know why, because chemical companies don't like independant testing in case it proves how dangerous their product is.

You learn something every day. I hadn't heard about this stuff before.

It is mentioned here http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,497788,00.html
and is blamed on a 100 deaths a year amongst cotton farmers in Benin, west Africa. You can do a Ctrl-F search for endosulfin or look about two thirds of the way down the article.

hat's OK then. Trouble is the spammers don't look before spamming! Inconsiderate idiots is my opinion of them. Lowest of the low, and could slither underneath a grass snake. Particularly his type, pedalling 'icides'

Do you think he has got the message yet, and b*ggered off of his own accord? Nothing here for him. We are all in agreement, I would think.

Am I being thick, but what is the advantage of this spam to him or his employer? All it has done is put a new word in my dictionary in the category of "nasty unpleasant stuff that should be avoided".

Listen bro..
If you realy wanna bully someone, atleast make sure you speak the right thing dodo.

Bro ????
Wanna?

Looks like you have learned American English not the Queens English.
You may be better off conversing with an American bee forum.

If you are going to only base your writing on published scientific papers then I wish you the best of luck.
So many papers are published today that have funding from a manufacturer it is laughable.

It may be your age or it may be your education causing friction in this thread,either way I think you need to learn more before posting on the subject.

"Am I being thick, but what is the advantage of this spam to him or his employer? All it has done is put a new word in my dictionary in the category of "nasty unpleasant stuff that should be avoided" - deserves a little explanation.

In simple terms, it's all to do with the great God Google, and "Google ratings" - if you Google "endosulfan" at the moment, the vast majority of entries refer to it in extremely derogatory terms (as it is particularly dangerous), but you'll also find a few Indian-based sites that try to refute the bad publicity, and paint it as positively wholesome - there is obviously an attempt being made to put sufficient "positive" posts on the web about it, that the vendors of the evil muck can con people into buying/using it, by pointing to the "positive" websites, and as you've seen, claim that the negative stuff is all a plot by us evil westerners trying to stop poor Indian companies from poisoning the bejaysus out of the environment for profit.....
There are a great many people in the "east" doing similar exercises to "fiddle" the search engines, and are known as the "50 cent army" as in some countries, that is what they're paid for each spam post on a forum such as this (forums are "crawled" daily by the search engines for new entries - if it discovers lots of posts saying how wonderful and safe endosulfan is, it just shrugs it's shoulders, and bumps the positive "spin" up a few notches in the ratings..........hence it's "worthwhile")

Must confess I nearly fell off my chair laughing at our pet spammer - he was in effect accusing me of being in the pay of the likes of Bayer............:biggrinjester:

I can see that might have seriously damaged your reputation Brosville.

I like how his language turned to verbal fisticuffs, as he was obviously becoming frustrated with you both.

He didn't really choose his target very well for his intended result, did he? <rhetorical of course>

To all the huge discussion you have wasted your time into, you hardly made any sense out of it.
You really want me to disclose who pays you?

Check this
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opJyp6KnaJw[/ame]

And if a WHO report looks paid to you..anything under the sun can be paid according to you, Isn't it?

And yes, this thread should surely be left as an example to showcase the shallow attitude of certain so called intelligent members on the forum.

Check this

You really think that this video helps your cause?

Seriously, you're wasting your time here. If you are behaving as other suggest, you're just causing clear evidence to be written all over the internet of how unpleasant this stuff is.

Golly he's digging himself one heck of a hole! "Forced" to use patented toxins indeed! - shock, horror, probe, the EU actually doing something about reining in the use of "icides" for a change.........
Where does one start pulling that video apart? - I think perhaps the shot of the "patented insecticides" used - the bottle said "Thiamin", which is one of the "B" vitamins, or perhaps the couple of workers with knapsack sprayers and no protective gear rather sums up the crass idiocy displayed throughout.....

If it is as widely used as suggested, then there is a clear case for a ban on the import of all produce from India as is it likely to be contaminated with an evil and pernicious poison..........

In the interest of making sure that spiders pick up this thread for the right reasons ... Was speaking with an ex-colleague who is also one of the most knowledgeable agronomists I have come across professionally. Once he stopped having a fit he summarised as follows and kindly sent as an email. I am adding a 'without prejudice' protective pre-statement as a precaution since third party references have not been given.

"Rosti

Endosulphan is a highly toxic organochlorine insecticide and acaricide. It is and endocrine disrupter that attacks the nervous system. It has been banned in many places such as the USA and Europe. It has a high environmental impact as it kills insects and mites indiscriminately, it is residual and can build up in animals.

I understand that it is still used extensively in places like India and China although a world wide ban in being considered. I also expect that it is being used in third world countries probably in Africa and South America.

This definitely not a good pesticide to have around."

Latest posts

Back