Are all associations affiliated to BBKA?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take a firmly scientific view on this - firstly do the research, and decide on the basics - which is precisely what I've been doing this winter. Along the way I've asked what are seen by some as a lot of often awkward questions, but have come to some conclusions as to the way in which I should proceed.
On the matter of hives, it is plain obvious to me that part of the "perfect storm" affecting bees is our arrogance in attempting to subject bees to our will, so will be making a couple of top bar hives (timber should be arriving this week) - very much in the spirit of the way I used to keep chickens - give them good housing, let them choose how they do things, and let them do it nature's way.....
Next stage will be bees, I'll probably go with local swarms from the local "swarm man" - not for any other reason than that I am pragmatic, and of the view that bees that have lived in this area already should be reasonably well acclimatised.
My reading suggests that it may be "nice" to obtain some of the rare-in-the-south black bees from the North country, but at the moment I want to "get going", so will be "going local".
As for other equipment, a bee suit and a water-spray bottle should do :)
What does worry me is that the forces of darkness are probably developing GM bees - which is a whole different kettle of Frankenbees........

Where are you going to put your bees Brosville? Two colonies better than one. Have you got someone to act as a mentor? Beekeeping not someting you can just learn from books. I look forward to more talk of bees!:)

I post on the BBKA board rather than this one and Gavin is right when he states that there are many there who consider the BBKA stance on pesticide endorsement to be unwise. I include myself in that category. There is no problem debating this on the BBKA board. Those who have been banned were banned for personalising the argument and being abusive to other posters who held differing views, imho. The anti pesticide posts are still there for anyone to read.

- very much in the spirit of the way I used to keep chickens - give them good housing, let them choose how they do things, and let them do it nature's way.....

Will those be native chickens Brosville, or some imported jungle fowl hybrid that we've bent to our will? ;)

I'm lucky in that we've got a decent-sized garden out in the sticks - they'll be up by the "pond" that dries out in summer, it's sheltered but sunny, and there is some really good foraging country around here - we've got several large old apple trees, a garden full of "bee-friendly" flowers, and the hedgerows are left to themselves in the surrounding fields - there's also a lot of woodland within a few hundred yards
I'm lucky in that I have a neighbour who used to keep bees on a fairly large scale until he became allergic, and his sister still keeps a couple of hives a couple of fields away. The moment I walked into the local association, I realised that I knew the secretary from "a previous life", and get on like a house on fire with her, so hopefully will muddle through!
It is my intention to recount my experiences online (probably in blog form), mostly for the edification of my friends on the renewable energy forum that I moderate, and will obviously be putting links to it from here and the Biobees forum .

Brosville.... Please tell me more about the water sprayer??? What's it for?

Hello Jon, and welcome... I beg to differ on the forum front. I just tried again to read a topic to make sure it wasn't me being a muppet. All threads are locked as "private" unless you become a member of the board. Shame really, cos how do you know if you want to join a forum, if you cannot guage the content and atmosphere first?

Sorry Roche... Just saw your question.... yes it was the county vote she was talking about. Oh Hang on ... I just re read email, and I am sure it's the county vote anyway...but I could be reading it wrong. pm me your email and I will forward the reply I got. :)

Last edited:
You can't read the vast majority until you're a "member" - I did raise this politely suggesting that in my experience of fora that people quietly "lurked", often for months, reading all the posts before plucking up the courage to ask a question themselves - I was effectively told that I didn't know what I was talking about, and that's how they were going to do it......
(one could surmise as to the reason why the general public was precluded from reading what went on...but I won't)
The water spray is instead of smoke - you tell them it's raining, rather than yelling "fire" - that simple! Apparently it is far less disruptive, and just as effective in allowing work to be done on the hive - seems logical to me!

Well I lurked on here for a while before joining, so I know what your saying makes sense... maybe it was because it was you saying it:)
The water spray sounds much kinder... and much easier then trying to keep a smoker alight..do many other keepers use that method?

it's pretty widely used amongst the "top bar brigade" - all part of the "natural" way as discussed on the Biobees forum.....:)

Jenxy.
There is nothing sinister about having to register for a forum.
the top bar beekeeping forum has registration only areas as well.
There are some good threads on both of them.
Having a registration process helps to keep out spammers.

I'm sorry Jon, you're wrong - it does precisely clutter all to keep out spammers - the problems start when you give people the right to post (by becoming a member) - the ability for people to read what goes on on the forum is absolutely without risk for the forum - therefore I would contend that you are LESS likely to have problems with an "open for all to read forum".
And unless I'm very much mistaken, you can read ALL of the posts on the Biobee forum without being registered (I went to check, it logged me in automatically, so I logged out and checked - quick browser refresh just to be sure - everything still accessible - just couldn't post unless logged in.........):)

Brosville, unless you end up with super gentle bees - and if you are getting a swarm that will be a matter of luck - strongly advise that you do not rule out using a smoker. Using a smoker is not cruel to bees and it works better than a water sprayer for calming them so that when you look at your colony they won't all come out angrily and cause you and your neighbours grief.

What happens with a smoker is that you fill it with something combustible - I'm using the trimmings from the lavender at the moment - and put a few gentle puffs of cool smoke in the entrance. You then finish getting your stuff ready/have a cup of tea. The bees will eat lots of honey because they have evolved this response to deal with forest fires, so they have their bellies full if they have to flee. Having a full belly makes them less defensive. Then when you take off the lid you put a few puffs through the crown board to push them down so that when you take of the lid they won't all fly up into your face. You then use the smoker very sparingly to keep the bees calm and avoid them getting squashed.

It is natural and sensible. I have had very aggressive bees and been hosptialised once by them. I don't want to encourage you or any other beginner to rule out using a smoker - that would not be good for you, your bees or your neighbours.

I may have a (borrowed) smoker nearby as a "last line of defence" until I'm used to the bees, and them to me, but it seems eminently sensible not to tell them they're on fire every few days if I can avoid it........ :)

Hospitalized!!! Oh my gosh... that sounds serious. I have never been stung (yet) by a honey bee. I know that it is only a matter of time, didn't consider that I could end up on "emergency ward 10" :)

Well it's like this really.

Some things are done for a very good reason and have been done that way for hundreds of years. Therefore they are tried and tested methods. A proven best way.

I could cite references but I dont have the time but if you watched the proggy on the Dorsata colonies in Nepal you may have seen what was used to subdue them. Smoke.

I appreciate some have a burning desire to be as kind as possible and to be "fluffy and idealistic" but smoke works and works very well. Water spray does have its place in the scheme of things but in a limited way.

Beware the siren calls of the TBC brigade: and for this reason. They do not keep bees in a way that is natural either. But that is a free choice though definitely not one I for one will follow or support. All I can do is to highlight the perils for the newbies who are not perhaps so idealistic.

I smoked my first colony, opened the crown board and my bar hands got well stung. I then realised that gloves are a bloody good idea. ;) Theory dear reader can lead to self delusion and bees are far from readers and followers of fads. They are bees.

PH

And unless I'm very much mistaken, you can read ALL of the posts on the Biobee forum without being registered .

The environmental issues and GM section won't let me read without logging in.

I'll check - when I looked all of the threads appeared to be there.....:)

I just tried and I couldn't look either...

Latest posts

Back