APIVAR.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
I have put Apivar on both my hives on 6th Sept.
Installed correctly.
So far I have seen hardly any drop from either hive at all !
Does it take time to get going ?
Never used it before .
Would ants eat the dead ones that fall off because I am talking one or two fallen off on each inspection board.
I'm puzzled.

Same as I've experienced this year. I've had strips in for 5 weeks . Only seen a few on the drop board. I'm sure the ants are taking them, as I do see some. Then, when I come back a week later, the ones I previously saw have gone.
Also, I don't think I have big mite number this year.

Same as I've experienced this year. I've had strips in for 5 weeks . Only seen a few on the drop board. I'm sure the ants are taking them, as I do see some. Then, when I come back a week later, the ones I previously saw have gone.
Also, I don't think I have big mite number this year.
I would be hugely suspicious of resistance

For how many years have you used it?
Never used it before.
Usually use Apiguard but just thought I would mix it up a bit.
Won't buy it again as I did not realise you can not store the strips once opened.
Used four, binned six and all the local beekepers had just put their treatment on as well, so could not give them away!

Never used it before.
Won't buy it again as I did not realise you can not store the strips once opened.
Used four, binned six and all the local beekepers had just put their treatment on as well, so could not give them away!
I bought Apivar last year (10 strips)for my only hive so only used two strips. The remainder I wrapped tightly in clingfilm, placed back in original envelope and sealed that with tape having removed as much air as possible, stored in poisons cupboard in the garage.
This year, put in two strips in each of my three hives and can see mites dropping so the apivar must still be working.
Gave the two remaining strips away so I think it can be stored and I feel I got value for money.
HTH someone
K ;)

I bought Apivar last year (10 strips)for my only hive so only used two strips. The remainder I wrapped tightly in clingfilm, placed back in original envelope and sealed that with tape having removed as much air as possible, stored in poisons cupboard in the garage.
This year, put in two strips in each of my three hives and can see mites dropping so the apivar must still be working.
Gave the two remaining strips away so I think it can be stored and I feel I got value for money.
HTH someone
K ;)
I’ve done the same sealed it up and used it the following season before I got into vaping oa.
I’ve also made home made oa strips plus I bought some from Abelo if I remember or was it somewhere else I can’t recall

Edit : as to mite drops it takes a while but into the second week mite drops was more - I think it’s a slow burner, after three weeks check to see the cluster are still around them also they propolis them up which imo makes them useless I’d invest in a pan or sublimox vape set up, pointing this towards the op 🙂

Last edited:
I have put Apivar on both my hives on 6th Sept.
Installed correctly.
So far I have seen hardly any drop from either hive at all !
Does it take time to get going ?
I would be hugely suspicious of resistance
Are there any mites to knock down?
I wouldn't be concerned, just use the product for the recommended duration according to the instructions.
Apivar is a fast acting miticide and can be used to measure an accelerated drop in the same way you can use oxalic.
Maybe my suspicion is tainted with cynicism? Maybe the bees are coping with varroa better than you think.

Never used it before.
Think it was Randy Oliver who tested a couple of last year’s used Apivar strips he found discarded in the bottom of his truck. The mite knock down was as good as fresh strips. Will try and dig out the article.

Apivar is a fast acting miticide and can be used to measure an accelerated drop in the same way you can use oxalic.
Maybe my suspicion is tainted with cynicism? Maybe the bees are coping with varroa better than you think.
I only started keeping bees last year. One was a large split/swarm donated and the other made up with 4 frames of brood from other colonies in July. I treated both with apivar and only had about 20-30 mites for each hive on the boards over the treatment period. Then vaping in December gave me only a couple on one colony. This year I’m only doing the vape in December to see what happens.

I only started keeping bees last year. One was a large split/swarm donated and the other made up with 4 frames of brood from other colonies in July. I treated both with apivar and only had about 20-30 mites for each hive on the boards over the treatment period. Then vaping in December gave me only a couple on one colony. This year I’m only doing the vape in December to see what happens.
Ideal now, then to do a sugar roll.

Latest posts

Back