Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suetheramble

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just put apiguard in my hive but the crown board squashed it. I have left Apiguard in with 25% below the vent in the crown board and 75% squashed.
Not to happy with this though would it be OK to remove the crown board for the month?
Thanks

Erm.. Apiguard on top of the brood- then an eke... then a crown board;)

Erm.. Apiguard on top of the brood- then an eke... then a crown board;)

:iagree:

I made a few crown boards that i can turn around with one side having a built in eek so i can do the Apiguard treatment

Last edited:
as well as the shallow eke (3-4cm) you need to close the crownboard holes too.

the idea is to have a well sealed hive (apart from OMF - with tray in - and entrance - shut down to deter wasps). some people gaffer tape hive joints too. and minimise volume - ie occupied brood box(s) plus shallow eke only.

I have just put apiguard in my hive but the crown board squashed it. I have left Apiguard in with 25% below the vent in the crown board and 75% squashed.
Not to happy with this though would it be OK to remove the crown board for the month?
Thanks

see Apiguard FAQ 2

use an eke or preferable a super

FAQ 4 always worries me, as i am on 14x12...as it says for brood& half :"bear in mind the level of might control might be lower" so how do i get it lower down in the 14x12

Last edited:
I made an eke using some one bee one (1" x 1") timber in an 18" square for my apiguard last year - worked a treat!

Or I have made crown boards with bee space one side, 2" the other - easy to invert for fondant/apiguard on the top bars...

R2

I made an eke using some one bee one (1" x 1") timber in an 18" square for my apiguard last year - worked a treat!

Or I have made crown boards with bee space one side, 2" the other - easy to invert for fondant/apiguard on the top bars...

R2

i prefer an api eke, either £hornes or 25mm scrap wood one becasue it also allows you in spring to use two super +eke as a temp 14x12 brood box

allthough apiguard say preferabley use a super instead of an eke (FAQ2) i think an Eke work better as there is less for the bees to keep warm in september

"i think an Eke work better as there is less for the bees to keep warm in september"

Yes MM - all that's needed is something to raise the cover board enough so the bees can paddle around in the foil trays.

when are you puting apiguard on this year , i am thinking of the 14th or 21st August

i cant get down to single brood chamber yet. I have HB in my area and it apears to be keeping my bees active. I pulled my supers off last week and had to put them back on empty as the bees looked like they might swarm

MM

I've still got two supers on- expect to start Apiguard at beginning of Sept

Richard

I was wondering whether to put a brood box of foundation on top of the apiguard. Is this a very bad idea? I can't do it on all the hives, as I haven't got enough spare brood boxes. I have 3 really hectic hives, and I really don't think I can squish them down into just one brood box. How do others reduce the bees to one brood box, when there are lots of them? When I look at night in the hive, they are virtually overflowing out of the entrance.

How do others reduce the bees to one brood box,

I don't. I encourage them to collect nectar and store honey. They will diminish as the flows go. Usually when drones are ejected you know they are slowing. I just wait for the bees... But if you have an Italian strain that doesn't know when to stop brooding, you may have problems - like swarming!

If too strong I can always split them if I have queens around.

Regard, RAB

Yes, I think my bees must have some Italian in them, and they do have a tendancy to swarm.....but the hive who didn't swarm this year or last are by far the biggest colony! I suppose that's quite logical, being as half of them didn't disappear earlier in the year!
Do you treat with Apiguard O90O? or do you treat and feed at same time? I think we all want to treat in August, when it is warm enough, but it is making decisions difficult, with trying to remove the honey in time.

melon, I inspected my most vigorous colony this afternoon and it's quite noticeable that although the brood box was a seething mass of bees - there was a dramatical reduction in brood on the frames so lot's of space for stores.
richard

Do you treat with Apiguard O90O?

No, I usually use a variant of Hivemakers method.

Thymol crystals dissolved in solvent, and dispensed onto folded kitchen paper towel squares. Not keen on apiguard and is too expensive. I have a few sachets around (I think) but prefer my own. I can add more for bigger colonies or less if the weather is very hot.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back