Apiguard Now...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mills

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning all,

Long time lurker here with newbie questions about using Apiguard. I uncapped some errant capped brood and found what I believe to be excessive varroa [I'd say about 8 in a piece of comb 1 inch high by 2 inches across]. The hive has around 6 frames of brood.

I'm planning to apply Apiguard later today, then again in two weeks. My first question is would I need to Apiguard again nearer September just to take them through the winter or will that be it for the year? Or should I take the risk, let them get on with expanding and apply the Apiguard mid-august?

If I do treat, with this "good" weather coming up, I may need to give them extra space if they suddenly decide to fill the remaining 5 frames in a flash. Would I add QE and super and leave the tainted honey for them or add a super and go brood and a half?

This is my first season I'm not bothered about taking honey whatsoever, I'd just like to ensure as best I can that they come through the winter.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to reading your responses.

Mills.

Morning all,

Long time lurker here with newbie questions about using Apiguard. I uncapped some errant capped brood and found what I believe to be excessive varroa [I'd say about 8 in a piece of comb 1 inch high by 2 inches across]. The hive has around 6 frames of brood.

I'm planning to apply Apiguard later today, then again in two weeks. My first question is would I need to Apiguard again nearer September just to take them through the winter or will that be it for the year? Or should I take the risk, let them get on with expanding and apply the Apiguard mid-august?

If I do treat, with this "good" weather coming up, I may need to give them extra space if they suddenly decide to fill the remaining 5 frames in a flash. Would I add QE and super and leave the tainted honey for them or add a super and go brood and a half?

This is my first season I'm not bothered about taking honey whatsoever, I'd just like to ensure as best I can that they come through the winter.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to reading your responses.

Mills.

do you have DWV in the hive?if not, i would wait until mid august through september.

I would not use Apiguard until September and then use oxalic acid in late December.

No sign of DWV, they've been in seemingly good health.

There is a varroa calculator on BeeBase - it asks how you counted, how mant etc and then tells you when you should treat - eg. Now, next week, 2 months etc...might be worth trying.

However, if you did treat now you wouldn't need to do it again in August (which is only 2 weeks away)!

Hive clean

I have been applying hive from time to time and so far things are looking good. I have one hive that did have excesive varroa (I do a sticky board insert once each month) and the hive clean knocked about 80 mites off in a two day period. It can also be used during a flow.

HiveClean's a good suggestion, I could use it as a stop gap maybe.

However, if you did treat now you wouldn't need to do it again in August (which is only 2 weeks away)!

WAIT FOR IT.....
..........here come Finnman with the definitive answer!

it depends on the weather... we may have a fantastic late summer lasting into October!

I have loads of HB around me, So i wwant to get as much honey from it as posible so i wont be using Apiguard untill Mid September, using HiveClean in the mean time.

Latest posts

Back