Apiguard and Thymolated syrup.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I was considering making up some Thymolated syrup using hivemakers recipe but was wondering if I was over doing it after using apiguard? Also do you treat with OA to or is that just to much ?

Paul.

No problem with treating with Apiguard and feeding with Thymol in the syrup at the same time.

As for OA then that’s up to you.

mine got both at the same time

Because they lie, they deliver at different prices (30% different in 1 day), they will now not accept beekeeper sized deliveries of sugar, they are rude, they lie. Did I mention the poor service, worst I have ever seen with one arm not knowing what the other did. They basically were completely incompetent over a two week period just when the bees needed feeding. I have moved thousands of pounds of business away from them over it.

you're talking only around 0.9g thymol per gallon in addition to the 8+g in the various treatments. 10% extra. No problem.

Thanks for the answers I will thymolate it then. I get my sugar from a local firm for .40p per kg in 25kg bags.

Purpose of Thymolated Syrup?

This is my first season so I am trying do do everything right and sometimes the more I read the more confused I get! I have two colonies and have left them a full super of stores each - plus the stores they have in the brood box - and am just finishing my last week of Apilife var. I have not given them any syrup - yet - and now I read about some of you adding Thymolated syrup .... please could someone explain what it is, why you add it and should I be doing so? Cant find it in any of my books! Many thanks - this forum is invaluable!

The reason is to stop the syrup fermenting (low dose) and to safe guard against nosema (higher, therapeutic dose).

also helps with the battle against varroa.

Latest posts

Back