Apiary Agreement

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otis Hogg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 Nationals, 1 WBC, 1 TBH, 5 Nuc
Does anyone have an written apiary agreement. Ive been offered a couple of gardens to put my hives on, but as I dont really know the people that well im keen to have a simple written agreement. Ive put this one together from one or two ive seen around. Any thoughts anyone.

View attachment Beekeeping contract.odt

Does anyone have an written apiary agreement. Ive been offered a couple of gardens to put my hives on, but as I dont really know the people that well im keen to have a simple written agreement. Ive put this one together from one or two ive seen around. Any thoughts anyone.

View attachment 11450

As you stated you wish to have more than one hive your form will need amending;

"The purpose of this agreement is for understanding of both parties that the beekeeper will place a beehive on the home owners property "

The form is still a work in progress, at the moment we have agreed 1 hive in the garden.

Not sure If need to add a comment about honey in exchange for using the garden ?

Last edited:
the one comment I'd make is that the fixed notice period seems a bit short, it could be awkward if sod's law means you're away for a few days, the car is being repaired, you're not feeling well, whatever. You could change it to something like

"Remove the hive and equipment from the home owners property as soon as practically possible and no more than one week after notice is given, should the homeowner desire for any reason".

You may want to include the beekeeper's home address and both party's telephone numbers - otherwise there's no formal means of complying with the communication parts of the agreement.

That's a pretty good first attempt. I agree with above comments about the length of notice to terminate the agreement - I was thinking two or three week's notice. Will the homeowner want notice of your intention to visit? If there's a family event happening, with kids running around, a beekeeper turning up and taking a hive apart would not be welcome!
Only stating one hive is the subject of the agreement will, as JMB pointed out, be restrictive if you need to split or do an artificial swarm so you need to think of some wording to cover this. Alternatively, you could do a vertical separation using a split board for swarm control and end up with one hive that's 6 foot high!
One other thing that springs to mind - I recall from my days dealing with construction contracts that the essential elements of a contract are an offer, an acceptance and a consideration. Your agreement currently has no consideration. I'd be inclined to go for a peppercorn rent of £1 a year paid by the beekeeper "if requested by the homeowner". This does not preclude you giving some jars of honey if you have a good year and the homeowner has been particularly helpful.

Good luck with your apiary agreement

CVB

Last edited:
If you need a contract for just a hive in a garden, I would avoid it like the plague. It shows you what sort of experience you will have.
If you are driving the need for a contract, I would ask why? To protect them or you?
Or is it to just outline your expected behaviour (access etc)?

Last edited:
I don't like contracts, If you conduct a proper apiary assessment/meeting with the land owners and explain the pros and cons. What's wrong with a good old hand shake as gentlemen do.

I don't like contracts, If you conduct a proper apiary assessment/meeting with the land owners and explain the pros and cons. What's wrong with a good old hand shake as gentlemen do.

:iagree:

That's all I've done with all my apiaries (one in someone's garden/orchard BTW) only thing I had to 'thrash out' was on my largest apiary - days to avoid inspection ( H&S due to proximity of shooting range) but even then we agreed I could inspect on shooting days if there was an urgent requirement

Me too. If you need a contract, you already have a problem.
Do the decent thing, and let them know worst case scenarios! If they are keen after that... You got a good site!

Latest posts

Back