Anyone tried this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Came across these guys selling honey on a stall in Ecuador. They had a frame of bees in a glass viewing chamber…definitely grabbed your attention. I wonder if anyone’s tried this marketing tactic while selling their honey on stalls in the UK…guessing it might not be great for the bees?

27EC77A9-4123-46C9-9032-709477EA1E7B.jpeg

Came across these guys selling honey on a stall in Ecuador. They had a frame of bees in a glass viewing chamber…definitely grabbed your attention. I wonder if anyone’s tried this marketing tactic while selling their honey on stalls in the UK…guessing it might not be great for the bees?

View attachment 30306
Actually quite common to see at county shows, especially the Beverley Beekeeper stand at Driffield show although I expect at many others.

Every BKA I know has ar least one observation hive they get out each summer to display at local fairs. Honey sales are a sideline on these occasions.
That reminds me I must revamp the one, I have in my shed, that I bought at an auction a few years ago! 😀

Good idea for big occasions - school visits, Apple Days, Honey Fairs - but an unwelcome extra job for a routine market: bees must be loaded the night before or early on market day and returned to the full hive afterwards. Undoubtedly stressful for both halves of the colony.

Usual to see 4-6 frames of bees, brood and stores in a bottom box and the queen in the glass case on a frame: £48 version, or the £480, sir?

Did you notice the price of honey? £2.95 - £3.70 for what looks like a 500g jar. At market on Saturday I met a young Cuban whose father and grandfather had been beefarmers.

Their struggle was not with the hard work (though that had not appealed to the grandson) but with getting a decent return: honey could be sold only through Govt. co-operatives which gave little to the farmer but made far more by selling on. Another customer told me of a similar system in Costa Rica.

After a long chat exploring Communism and corruption and much in between, the young Cuban gave me £3.75, about the same price as the Ecuadorian honey. Difference was that my London jar held only 135g.

View attachment 30306
Just go onto any of the main suppliers sites and look for observation hives.

Ah ok it’s pretty common then. It looked like just one frame of bees.

No the place for sales I know, but I have a renovated observation hive for sale if anyone offers a sensible price?
S

View attachment 30316

I designed and had this made in oak, lives in my study. Not mobile but bee's are/do fine in here all year round. Pondering a webcam setup at some point.

Looks awesome. I’m confused though...you keep bees in it in your study all the time?

View attachment 30316

I designed and had this made in oak, lives in my study. Not mobile but bee's are/do fine in here all year round. Pondering a webcam setup at some point.
It's a work of art ... do they have a tunnel entrance to the outside ?

It's a work of art ... do they have a tunnel entrance to the outside ?

Ha thanks, yes through the wall using a mech that pushes the pipe into the hive under pressure so there is no way it can fail. I take the whole thing outside for management etc, the other side has a hinged glass door. There is also an oak leg (not in image) that could hold a car, just incase the wall bracket failed, but that is bolted to wall so all very secure.

Ha thanks, yes through the wall using a mech that pushes the pipe into the hive under pressure so there is no way it can fail. I take the whole thing outside for management etc, the other side has a hinged glass door. There is also an oak leg (not in image) that could hold a car, just incase the wall bracket failed, but that is bolted to wall so all very secure.
Brilliant... better than the telly !

Sorry I don’t have time to come on here often nowadays. Pics attached, if you need anymore let me know?ABB45AE8-8C88-4E77-BA64-2DF44F633571.jpeg

Attachments

• D6572902-4FEA-4C58-9ECA-342A33FCADFE.jpeg
    D6572902-4FEA-4C58-9ECA-342A33FCADFE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back