Anyone tried or have comments on this..........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems there are always some who appear here with an axe to grind, being intentionally provocative, their trolling behaviour is obvious to anyone.
I've also noticed some who seem to have an immediate issue with the moderators, again just obvious trolling.
I didn't realise people join the forum to find out how many have been banned, I thought this place was about beekeeping.

She is a bit of a visionary - Why 'natural' beekeeping could save our honey-making friends

I think observation is going to be key and as well as fitting various sensors (already discussed on the forum), remote cameras are very inexpensive now.
30.08min - great old vid

Heidi has been on the forum as Sunhivebee, but not for some time. I don't think many would describe her as a visionary. She has certainly been described as being at the extreme end of natural beekeeping. I think it was the reference to crystal energy that put many people off her style (IIRC she embedded them into the clay and dung of the sun hives?). There was a clip of her introducing her sun hives and placid bees to one of the country file presenters, who was promptly stung.....

Sunhive is from another world. It is better to keep fingers off from that topic.

You do not even learn much from the hive, because you cannot look inside and follow the life of the nest. Bees just come and go like via the hole of the House Wall.

Sunhive, which is actually cow manure ball. The name is misleading.

Last edited:
I can remember Heidi posting pictures of her Sunhive(s) strung up in some kind of open roofed summer house without any sides. It has stuck in my mind. It looked lovely.

I always envied her: try doing that here in winter and the roof would be in the fields. ( I think she lives in the warmer south of the UK.)

My father had a friend/distant cousin who's full name was Selwyn Lewis Albert Mons Lewis

Or Slam as he was known in school
There was also a lad who's father nickname was Wil Pickles (he worked on the pickling tanks in the tinplate works) so they called him Cnec which is the Welsh for Fart
My parents been doing our family tree:
Owen Parry had a son called Owen Owen (pretty common in N Wales) but his son was christened Owen Owen Owen. Late 1800s. Several Parrys, Owens and Griffs later, this is in a near subsistence small holding at the end of Llyn, my father ended up with Arnold. Heaven knows were that came from.

Last edited:
She is a bit of a visionary - Why 'natural' beekeeping could save our honey-making friends

I think observation is going to be key and as well as fitting various sensors (already discussed on the forum), remote cameras are very inexpensive now.
30.08min - great old vid

Well, I was a bit surprised to hear that these skep beekeepers fed sugar syrup. Don't know why.

But then they also culled all drone comb on sight due to it being "superfluous in a colony with a mated queen" ......

Funny old world

Last edited:
I can remember Heidi posting pictures of her Sunhive(s) strung up in some kind of open roofed summer house without any sides. It has stuck in my mind. It looked lovely.

I always envied her: try doing that here in winter and the roof would be in the fields. ( I think she lives in the warmer south of the UK.)

Sun hive looks lovely, but it is a toy. You may look it from Google. But it is not proper to bees.

Her idea was to spread swarms to nature and Make feral bees.

Yes ... West Sussex - she has a nice set up there ... she had some wonderfully decorated conventional hives as well as her sun hives hanging in the shelter of her bee pergola - she eats sleeps and breathes bees - she may be to the far side of the dark side but she knows her bees and she is a good, if left of centre, beekeeper.

My parents been doing our family tree:
Owen Parry had a son called Owen Owen (pretty common in N Wales) but his son was christened Owen Owen Owen. Late 1800s. Several Parrys, Owens and Griffs later, this is in a near subsistence small holding at the end of Llyn, my father ended up with Arnold. Heaven knows we're that came from.

My family tree was followed back to the Scottish Borders.
Apparently at least one relative was hung for cattle reiving (stealing).

At that point, all apparent interest in our family ceased!

Sun hive looks lovely, but it is a toy. You may look it from Google. But it is not proper to bees.

Her idea was to spread swarms to nature and Make feral bees.
No ..she collects her swarms .. keep it factual finnie. The sun hive does have removable sections and it actually replicates the shape of the combs bees build in the wild ... not s new idea .. look up the catenary hive invented in the 1970's. Neither of them meet my requirements but there is always room for diversity ...

but there is always room for diversity ...

And servers have Allways room to your diverse explanations.

Sun hive is meant mainly to conservation purposes. So it was written. It means swarms and nest places. The hive is so small, that it can only swarm. At the end of chain it will produce food to varroa.

You cannot get honey from that Ball.

Sunhive is experimental natural beekeeping. It has lasted now perhaps 10 years. On same pages there are many solistina like a trunkhive.

They speak about permakulture (permanent culture) .

So many views and goals together in this case.

Last edited:
Well, I was a bit surprised to hear that these skep beekeepers fed sugar syrup. Don't know why.

But then they also culled all drone comb on sight due to it being "superfluous in a colony with a mated queen" ......
Still books in print that seems to suggest the drones in a hive impregnate the queen of that hive! I think you could easily put together a book of quotes about bees that is totally inaccurate. - mind you the documentary makers could have misunderstood what they were told and didn't have a fact checker.
Did you see the bit int he clip where they mention that liqueur used to be added to the sugar water? I wonder if that was a method to stop it going moldy or just to give the bees a good night!

I've taken my time in replying to this so that I could watch and listen to the embedded media in the original post above..

Much of the criticism which has been directed at the OP in this thread suggests that he should gain competency in "conventional" beekeeping before he ventures into the "wild" complexities of alternative approaches to apiculture. There is an understandable reluctance for "time-served" beekeepers to stick to the methods which they know have worked for them. It is equally understandable that they should commend their type of beekeeping to new beekeepers. But it's obvious that anyone new to beekeeping is best suited to trying these alternative approaches as they have the benefit of being free from any experiences which might prejudice their choices. The worst that can happen is that some bees may die....the world of beekeeping will not end because someone adopts the use of long hives.

Having listed reasonably intently to Dr Leo except where he ventured slightly into self-promotion, it seems that he has a very detailed knowledge and understanding of bees. He has a family background in beekeeping and has a good awareness of historical beekeeping which includes that which has been passed down to him from previous generations of his family.. He seems very well versed in the current practical, scientific research done by Dr. Tom Sealey. He constantly refers to the behaviour of bees when explaining the reasons for his novel ideas. In fact, most of his ideas are shown not to be all that novel in any case.

No-one is compelled to partially or completely follow Dr. Sharashkin's methods or to take in any of his advice and recommendations. But I have learned a lot of principles from listening to him, whch I hope to be able to incorporate into my beekeeping.

The worst that can happen is that some bees may die....

Is it ? Ive attended a swarm call that cost a life.
Had i met the "natural beekeeper" that day who lost them , he'd have arrived at the pearly gates a few hours ahead of the householder.
If Dr whoever is so fond of quoting T.Seeley he must have mentioned what happened when he offered swarms an array of perfect houses , no ?
The first swarm he released ended up in the chimney of the nearest building.
Does that answer the op's question?

Is it ? Ive attended a swarm call that cost a life.
Had i met the "natural beekeeper" that day who lost them , he'd have arrived at the pearly gates a few hours ahead of the householder.
If Dr whoever is so fond of quoting T.Seeley he must have mentioned what happened when he offered swarms an array of perfect houses , no ?
The first swarm he released ended up in the chimney of the nearest building.
Does that answer the op's question?
I think one of the striking things I have learned in the few cut outs I've done is that bees can get into lots of inconvenient places and cost a householder dearly. We all lose swarms but to lose them on purpose seems irresponsible. I don't do it myself but I do urge folk who keep bees amongst neighbours to clip queens' wings too

Latest posts

Back