Anyone shed any light on this matter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bates

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have an issue with an overwintered nuc a customer had at the start of April.

We kept about 50 for ourself and sold the rest on, noting no issues with the ones we kept or other customers reporting issues.

Customer has emailed a few weeks back explaining lots of dead bees outside the hive which worried us and we asked for pictures to confirm. A few weeks later we just had a batch of videos or pictures.

Now I'm uncertain what this is, I first thought CBPV but the lack of shiny bees or damaged wings makes me unsure although there is some shaking. What are your thoughts? We have not seen this in any of our stocks so I'm wondering how this has occurred. Another thought is from spray?

See here - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4AqqhjiHshqQzIxeEdhajZXWUk&usp=drive_web

Dan

Most unusual, I'd suspect poisoning and if in your shoes would see if a sample could be collected by the sbi.
Certainly doesn't look like any cpbv I've seen.

I was thinking some sort of poisening. It is odd and concerning that many bees dead. Think have to arrange a sample.

We had a bit of CBPV last year, which I thought was poisoning at first as some similarities with a poisoning we had previously. But your case does look like a poisoning to me. Also if it was CBPV you would certainly have seen something in your own stock too.
Is the colony totally dead or just depleted?

Colonies depleting as a result. Not dead, yet.

Do the bees inside the nuc have trembling (K) wings?

I have never seen anything like that before but it is shocking what ever has caused it.

I have seen the bee's like that, when they have robbed out a feral colony that has been treated with ficam pesticide. when will the test results be back?

Customer has literally gone blank on us, not replied to any emails or voice mails. I really don't know the situation anymore. Just waiting for it to be used against us some how :/

Latest posts

Back