Anyone played with a Beehaus ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use a hive system thats not mainstream you have to develop a thick skin,just ask the TBH boys and girls.

Hmmm, .... well, ...... I only enquired about a Warre hive system after I saw Beesatbobs clever use of Rose boxes, and got spammed to hell and back ! My own fault really, I suppose I could have blocked it, but the evangelism was enough to deter me forever.

If the owners of the beehaus hive are members here why not supply one to someone on here for the purpose of testing them. (not me I am happy with my £120 cedar hives). Then they could see how they go with it and post updates on any pros and cons. Simples. :cheers2:

Imagine if a nuclear submarine was taken back in time only ~150 year, they would think it was an alien vessel.

And if you told them that this great underwater vessel was also chock full of seamen they would also be mightily impressed, just not as we know it Jim!:toetap05:

Sorry Admin, I suffered a weak moment there and just couldn't resist :)
Humour is all around us and just needs to be exploited a little to bring a :) into our lives.

Meanwhile back on the thread.​

My local association bought a Dartington for evaluation. They are commercially available, from Dartington.

We found that they are OK for the bees, but not so hot for production. The bees have been pretty good tempered, about average for disease, plenty of brood, plenty of stores in the main body of the hive, not much in the supers.

For manipulation, the height is about right, BUT because the entrance is at the end of the hive, and you don’t want to obscure the entrance, you work from one side, which is not an ergonomic way to work, and you continually have one arm over the open hive, which isn’t so good. Also, the brood frame size is large enough that it can be difficult for smaller people to handle easily.

The other big problem is that because the Dartington hasn’t been around long, there isn’t the huge amount of standard wisdom that exists for other hive types, in terms of “what to do if…”

I guess if you were wanting to keep a colony for pollination rather than production, rarely wanted to move it, and weren’t too worried about livestock management then a Dartington might be the way to go.

I wouldn’t buy one though. Primarily because of the handling disadvantages.

Moving the Beehaus. I think they missed a trick here. With that stand system they have they could easily have fitted a pair of wheels on one side. Then all you would have to do is lift slightly and drag it away. Would be easier than moving my commercials on my hand truck. They keep sliding about on rough ground.

I wouldn’t buy one though. Primarily because of the handling disadvantages

Dartington - OK, I have 2.

No particular handling problems. Yes, you work from the side. There is plenty of room. Height is adjustable - shorten the legs if it is too high or stand it on something if it is too low (or fit new legs). No Different to a hive stand for a National really.

If you don't mind extracting 14 x 12s, production might well be about the same as for a National. There is no particular reason why it should be less. DIFFERENCE is you won't be so likely to cart it off to the OSR or heather for the extra benefits of mobile beekeeping.

Advantages:
Less disturbance with inspections.
Easy swarm control (it was not really designed for 2 separate colonies, other than during the swarming season).
Smaller lifting weights (except the roof, maybe).
Loads of brood space.
Easy to follow instructions for the beekeeping year.
Smaller coverboards - need less open at times.
Very warm for bees in winter (if brood area is insulated on the sides and top like mine).
Light supers (1/2 supers).
Easy to remove frames for inspection - loads of space to turn the frames sideways.
Easy to separate frames into groups for easy queen hunting.
Cheap materials to make them (if you can get scrap ply packaging for eg.)
Sections cut to size and screwed together - no wood-working joints other than the simplest butt joint.
Top bee space

Disadvantages:
Size
Coverboards - too small (so? I can cut some larger ones)and fiddly to get in the right place and have to be positioned more carefully than a vertical hive.
Roof - large, clumsy and heavy (but could be made in two sections)
Honey is stored in 14 x 12s as well as shallow National frames.
14 x 12s need to be extracted tangentially.
Vertical dividers are a pain -design suggests kitchen scouring pads, as seals, to separate the two sides, the bottom clearance needs some modifications.
Supers made in ply, which tends to have a 'crown' on the 'front' face, so supers have a gap making it difficult to put them on without crushing bees (which tend to climb up the outer sides).
Portability.
Time consuming to make just one hive at a time.
Painted - not just left, or one coat of preservative from time to time like cedar.

I would not want more than two for a hobby. I think they are good in most respects and make a suitable blend with my Nationals which can be moved easier (14 x 12 broods are not exactly easy though!).

They do make beekeeping for a garden easy.

I tried the concept (with one hive) and I have built a second. They will continue to be used. They have a niche in my beekeeping activities. Inspections are easier because you don't have to lift down sections, onto an up-turned roof - the 1/2 supers are simply stood on the other cover boards, if necessary, or at/on the ends of the hive on runners.

I have added a few bits - runners, to slide under a floor board if necessary and the sheet of ply for that floor, deeper roof (for more winter insulation), thick, insulated dummies and dividers which actually fairly well seal the brood area at the top.

The thing is, the concept is good, although any of the disadvantages might put off a potential user. They were also quite expensive to buy compared to a collection of National boxes which are easier to mix and match.

I certainly wouldn't have bought one - Nationals from Thorne's winter sales are such good value.

The main drawback I find is that you don't need that extra space if the colony is not about to swarm, so there is wasted space for most of the year. Practically, beekeeping takes up far more space than just the colonies, so does that really matter?

Some National parts can be used, although dimensionally the Dartington is 15mm wider - I use National supers - just need to be sure the roof seals OK (wider runners in the roof).

With regards to the plastic cool box - I just think that half a grand for a bee enclosure is too much for most beekeepers. It may work better than the wooden predecessor, as tolerances should be closer. We shall see. Roll on a competitive offering (comparable to the normal vertical wooden hive) IF it works OK. The poly hive, fitted into a plastic box, as a housing, would probably be as good or better option than half a grand......(my thoughts)

I actually took my Dartington (with colony) to our Association apiary earlier this year. Just for a weekend demo. I will not be doing it again!

BTW I no longer use WBCs, I have no plans to use standard National broods again and any remaining standard bodies will have ekes fitted for 14 x 12. But things could change as I am tempted to try a couple of poly hives. I like top space, too.

Regards, RAB

Oliver any chance of some pics ?
That was a good write-up,you would be an ideal person to trial a Beehaus and report on its plus and negative points.

Moving the Beehaus. I think they missed a trick here. With that stand system they have they could easily have fitted a pair of wheels on one side. Then all you would have to do is lift slightly and drag it away. Would be easier than moving my commercials on my hand truck. They keep sliding about on rough ground.

I guess you haven't seen their migratory version. :D

AAAAAlFhc4cAAAAAAQuGIg.jpg

Back