Anyone heard of this Organisation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at this site and assumed, like Apple, it would be a commission based thing which I think their main site is but this section seems to be just a directory of beekeepers. I emailed them asking how it worked and suggesting they have a search by location and below is the reply I received.

Dear Neil

Thank you for getting in touch. The project is in its early stages and feedback from beekeepers like you is invaluable. No amount of testing can iron out every glitch or replicate the user experience!

The first thing to say is that the directory is completely free to use, there are no commission charges or fees. I have added a note to this effect on the home page. Our aim is to help beekeepers connect with their local communities, to increase awareness of their work, educate people about bees and so that they might sell their honey and other products. Our main site is an online shop, but that works on a completely separate footing.

Helping people to buy locally is absolutely what we are about, so I have tweaked the search page to hopefully make this easier. 'Region' now gives a dropdown list so that you can select from the main UK regions, and I have added a postcode option.

1615050720572.png

There should also be no reference to price in the searches now, but let me know if this does crop up anywhere.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts - particularly how we might attract more beekeepers to register.

Thanks again for your interest.

Best wishes,
Rod

Rod Taylor

The Hive at One Planet

[email protected]
oneplanetshop.org/the-hive
1615050720635.png

1615050720699.png

I would certainly register if I wasn't running out of honey from last year but maybe some of you might give it a try?

Last edited:
Seems like an interesting idea all round. Visited the main web site and tried the Region function, but it failed. Hope it gets sorted out.

Had a look at the site. Not sure I like the fact that it gives a map of just where you ( and probably your hives) are! Quite like the idea though.
I wonder what the reaction would be if I put I sell raw artisan honey!
Not registered yet, I can sell all I have without the need for it so unlikely to but I am sure it will suit some

Seems like an interesting idea all round. Visited the main web site and tried the Region function, but it failed. Hope it gets sorted out.
Hi Murox

Thanks for your input. What was the specific issue with the Region function? It all looks ok at this end. Bear in mind that this is a new project, and there are only two listings in the directory at the moment - one in South East England and one in North West. If you select any other region it will return no results.

We are hoping the directory will grow in the coming weeks and months, and I hope you lovely people will spread the word. Do let me know if you have any more questions or suggestions.

Had a look at the site. Not sure I like the fact that it gives a map of just where you ( and probably your hives) are! Quite like the idea though.
I wonder what the reaction would be if I put I sell raw artisan honey!
Not registered yet, I can sell all I have without the need for it so unlikely to but I am sure it will suit some
Hi Enrico

Thanks for your comment about the map - I quite understand why some people will not want this displayed. The function can be turned off by ticking the Hide Map checkbox when adding a listing. https://www.oneplanetshop.org/the-hive-add-listing/

I'm sure your site will do well with the right marketing and promotion which I assume is already a work in progress?

The problem us beekeepers might have is on the 'About us' page part of your mission statement says "our mission is to bring you the best eco-friendly and ethical products...." the problem is that vegans don't regard beekeepers as 'ethical' as we keep a wild animal to produce our products. I'm sure they can use the filter but I think it's something you need to be aware of as I can see vegans being one of your prime target audiences.

Anyway good luck with your venture.

H
I'm sure your site will do well with the right marketing and promotion which I assume is already a work in progress?

The problem us beekeepers might have is on the 'About us' page part of your mission statement says "our mission is to bring you the best eco-friendly and ethical products...." the problem is that vegans don't regard beekeepers as 'ethical' as we keep a wild animal to produce our products. I'm sure they can use the filter but I think it's something you need to be aware of as I can see vegans being one of your prime target audiences.

Anyway good luck with your venture.

Thanks for flagging this up. Our shop does include vegan products, but not exclusively. We - and many people - value the important environmental contribution of bees and beekeepers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember joining a similar site when I first started beekeeping.
It worked well and my advertisment attracted customers from as far as 30 miles away.
In the end I removed my details from the site because I had obtained more custom than I needed.
So as far as helping advertise my honey at a good price it worked very well.

Unfortunately I did have one experience that could have caused problems.
A man came and bought a jar of honey and was asking all the usual questions people ask.
However I soon realised that the man new more about beekeeping than he first let on.
He was also trying to get me to tell him where my hives were sited.
I did not share this information with him, and I later discovered he had had similar conversations with another local Beekeeper.
And whilst no crime had been committed it did give me cause for some concern.
He never did return to buy any more honey.

I remember joining a similar site when I first started beekeeping.
It worked well and my advertisment attracted customers from as far as 30 miles away.
In the end I removed my details from the site because I had obtained more custom than I needed.
So as far as helping advertise my honey at a good price it worked very well.

Unfortunately I did have one experience that could have caused problems.
A man came and bought a jar of honey and was asking all the usual questions people ask.
However I soon realised that the man new more about beekeeping than he first let on.
He was also trying to get me to tell him where my hives were sited.
I did not share this information with him, and I later discovered he had had similar conversations with another local Beekeeper.
And whilst no crime had been committed it did give me cause for some concern.
He never did return to buy any more honey.
Hi Steve

As mentioned above, the map function in our listings can be turned off, and the same applies to all location settings.

Back