Any truth in this against varroa ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I have read this from here > http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Beekeeping/Recipes_for_the_Bees

Grease Patties containing both wintergreen oil or tea tree oil and mineral salt appear to have an effect on varroa mites and tracheal mites. These effects can be seen when brood is present, and has a devastating effect on mites when brood is not present. However, grease patties with essential oils should not be used during time of honey collection for human consumption. During this time, grease patties without essential oils can be used to a lesser effect. For any noticeable effect, a grease patty of some form should be used at all times. Replace any consumed patties.

[edit] Simple Grease Patty1 part (by volume) solid vegetable shorting (such as Crisco)
2 parts (by volume) white sugar
Mix sugar and shortening until well combined. Split into approximately quarter cup (~6 centiliters) portions and store excess in the freezer sandwiched between sheets of wax paper.

[edit] Grease Patty With Mineral Salt2 lbs solid vegetable shorting (such as Crisco)
3 lbs whites sugar
1 lb 1:2 Syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup or Clean Honey
1/3 cup pulverized mineral salt (~1/5lb Depending on mineral content)
Prepare the same as you would a simple grease patty recipe.

[edit] Grease Patty With Mineral Salt and Essential Oils2 lbs solid vegetable shorting (such as Crisco)
3 lbs whites sugar
1 lb 1:2 Syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup or Clean Honey
1/3 cup pulverized mineral salt (~1/5lb Depending on mineral content)
3 table spoons wintergreen oil
Prepare the same as you would a simple grease patty recipe.

Try them and let use know.
I know that some new world countries use these things, so give it a go.

Brian

The clue is in the recipe. Crisco.

This was something discussed pretty much at the beginning of Varroa.

Would I try it. No.

PH

Ok Ph i have had a quick google :)
Crisco from what i can tell is Veg suet can you tell me what was the issues with this please.

wintergreen oil or tea tree oil probably useful along with thymol but personally i'd add to patties or syrup rather than grease patties.

IMHO crisco has only one use and that can't be discussed on a family forum

why would that be drstitson? I understand it to be an in general use cooking material in the USA?

PH

I have just Googled "Cristo".............. hydrogenated vegatable oil..... similar process used in food industry for decades, production of vairious spreads, margarines etc.
Wikipedia reference to the use of unregulated cheap non foodstuff cottonseed oil was a bit disturbing. I believe that 50% of the pesticides produced from oil is used on the cottonseed crop?............... non (US) FDA regulated, may contain pesticide residues... don't think I would be eating Cristo myself intentionally

Now what about "Cookeen".........................

"IMHO crisco has only one use and that can't be discussed on a family forum"

and goose fat is much better for that anyway

Crisco is why Fried Chicken in the USA is the best in the world. It is also a key ingredient in most good biscuit recipes. :facts:

He's probably talking about chicken being an ingredient in most biscuits - just like one needs a dash (or more) horse meat in beef burgers!

Crisco is why Fried Chicken in the USA is the best in the world. It is also a key ingredient in most good biscuit recipes. :facts:

Chicken fried in oil is disgusting. Grilled or roasted is fine.

Latest posts

Back