Any scouts at your swarm trap?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5th May, when it was very warm, they were busy...see video. There's still some around, every day, but I'm betting they're my own, nosey bees.

Attachments

• 20220505_105737.mp4
    23.4 MB
First sign of activity at my bait hives today. The forecast is a bit rubbish for the next few days though…

View attachment 31815
Sounds promising! I had 12 or so scouts at the Bait hive in my garden yesterday. I changed tactics from last year and have put it up higher this time.

About a week ago I put a 14x12 baited poly nuc with one piece of old brood comb, and the the rest of the space added frames with new foundation...added a tissue with lemongrass to the top of one of the frames, and also smeared lemongrass near the entrance...and waited...nothing has happening (yet).......However, one of my old, unused (almost sealed) 14x12 hives, complete with old frames and old wax moth damage, (located about 25ft away from my baited nuc! ) was of interest to the odd nosey bee a few days ago....then yesterday afternoon, bang...a swarm took up residence..not in the nuc, but the old hive.....Have now moved them into the target nuc, pending a move to the out apiary and hiving. So much for my nuc baiting skills....but after a bit of a break from beekeeping I'm really pleased to be back in the beekeeping saddle !!

5 or so bees in my bait hive today. Old wooden nation hive on hive stand with some old comb. Used lemon grass oil.

According to Tom Seeley's "Honeybee democracy" book, it goes quiet shortly before the swarm moves as the scouts are all back at the swarm prompting them to fly.
It does and it’s quite dramatic.
The scouts build up to hundreds in a short space of time, something like half an hour then suddenly over a minute there are none
The swarm arrives within a few minutes. I guess it depends how far they are bivouacked. It’s absolutely wonderful to watch.

If you consider how consensus is reached on the swarmed cluster it’s a perfect illustration

Very interesting book, I'd recommend it. Prompts as many questions as it asks through. Eg if the perfect new nest site is only a few yards away can they communicate that as the "very close" waggle dance appears to give no directional info as far as I understand, and (for forage) relies on scent. If an apiary has a swarm that pitches very close by, can it signal a very close bait hive, or should we put them further away?

No scouts at any of my bait hives but took a poly nuc brood body out the garage today to make frames up for and had bees in it within minutes, so popped a lid on and left it.

5 or so bees in my bait hive today. Old wooden nation hive on hive stand with some old comb. Used lemon grass oil.

Ended up with about 30 bees inspecting the front and popping in and out very excitedly. Rain tomorrow then fine for a week.

Never had bees two days ago.
Put my new hive in place, some lemongrass oil down and a lot of scouts.
Then was offered a swarm on Sunday, picked up Monday, put them in the hive on Tuesday.
Hard luck scouts.
I am now a Bee keeper.

Never had bees two days ago.
Put my new hive in place, some lemongrass oil down and a lot of scouts.
Then was offered a swarm on Sunday, picked up Monday, put them in the hive on Tuesday.
Hard luck scouts.
I am now a Bee keeper.
Congratulations!
Now you need a 2nd hive.....

Latest posts

Back