Any scouts at your swarm trap?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was putting another trap together today and a couple of bees landed inside it on the old comb (no stores in it) before I could get the lid on. This time last year I didn’t see any bees about here whatsoever

Hoping to get a few out this week. it has been far too cold over here on the East coast tbh.

My hives have only had one brief look so far to check adequate stores.
They have been very active in the last few days, but I haven't seen a single drone yet, so I wouldn't expect swarms yet.
I'm near Manchester.

My hives have only had one brief look so far to check adequate stores.
They have been very active in the last few days, but I haven't seen a single drone yet, so I wouldn't expect swarms yet.
I'm near Manchester.

First drones started flying from my hives about 3 days ago, and I'm a bit north of you, so mind your eye.

But I agree you are probably safe this week at least.

How do you stop wasps building a nest in your bait hive?

I have substantial drones in two of my colonies though none flying yet.
Strangely they are not my strongest ....but lots of worker brood. Do they know something about their queens that I can't see yet?

Several drones flying from my, currently only hive. One frame of sealed drone brood too.
It seems the queen has gone off lay to some extent in the cold snap - I found eight frames of sealed brood, but little in the way of open brood yesterday. At least I hope that’s the reason!

More attention at the bait hive in my garden. Looks like scout bees sizing it up

Sounds promising. A beekeeper a few miles down the road from me had a hive swarm today. Still no interest in my bait hives though

Sounds promising. A beekeeper a few miles down the road from me had a hive swarm today. Still no interest in my bait hives though
Might still be a bit early up here in Scotland but one of my colonies inspected today had 4 queen cups with eggs so swarming just around the corner perhaps!

Got to the apiary at 0800hrs this am and there was blatant sniffage at the baithives.
Had to get my swarm management head screwed on really tight and spent the rest of the day inspecting.
Found one supercedure pod but nothing else.

All my baithives have wax/proplis scrapings sprinkled onto the box floor and rubbed on the walls and frames.
The odd bracecomb trimming and a spot of LGO added but no combs.
I get incoming swarms every year.
The boxes are all on shed roofs or in trees,daylight proof 40litres with an 8mmx12mm hole south facing.

Last edited:
My urban bait give in Solihull has not show interest. Got 3 old dark combs in it. Old national hive.

I have always wondered whether having deep frames in a bait hive hinders the scouts when sizing up a new home. I am guessing that they can probably work out the distance between drawn comb if it has the correct spacing and take it into account as it's something they would come across in the wild.

My urban bait give in Solihull has not show interest. Got 3 old dark combs in it. Old national hive.

I have always wondered whether having deep frames in a bait hive hinders the scouts when sizing up a new home. I am guessing that they can probably work out the distance between drawn comb if it has the correct spacing and take it into account as it's something they would come across in the wild.
It’s one reason I always put only one drawn old brood comb. A FF frame next to the wall/old comb/FF works for me
But swarms go into all sorts of congested old kit.

The comb might perhaps have been trashed by wax moths before they get to it, but I have been wondering along the same lines.

I'm slightly tempted to use old brood boxes for bait hives (I have a couple that I'd not really want to use for colonies) and put in a frame of old comb plus a few frames with starter strips, so I can easily move them into a new hive if/when a swarm arrives.

James

I have always wondered whether having deep frames in a bait hive hinders the scouts when sizing up a new home
I suppose it's something that has crossed most beekeepers minds, which is why I always used to set up my bait hives with wired frames with starter strips and the frame of old comb put on the very edge. But...
I've had swarms land at the home apiary - ignoring the purpose built bait hive ten feet up a tree, and the multitude of old empty brood boxes etc. stacked up with plenty of means of entry and moving straight in to the newly returned brood box from a deadout dropped on top of the lot whilst I went for a cup of tea before sorting it out.

Latest posts

Back