Any extractors for 14x12?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,
I want to buy my first extractor and have seen some radials that take deep frames tangentially. Does anyone know of a current model that will take a 14x12 frame? As all my hives are 14x12, and it's a lot of money, I felt it would be useful to have that option when they decide to pack a brood frame with honey that they're reluctant to move up. I've seen one which I believe is made by obs but haven't been able to get anymore info about it. I've got a budget of about £450.

Any information and experience would be great. I want to buy one extractor that lasts and not be thinking about changing in a couple of years.

Thanks,
Jeremy.

I've also been looking, and am going to email the big T to see if I can get a new cage for my existing extractor. If you are looking for a new one then there are a few on e_bay. I got one from a German company which was very good value for money and cost <£300.

As they make them, I'm going to be asking them to make a new cage for me, so that I can extract the 14x12 frames.
They just need to weld the bars about 2CM higher and it will take them, or put three sides instead of 4 would be great.
So whatever the cage costs it will be £30 for postage, but ask for any other currier than Fedex as they seem to dent everyone that has been delivered when I was googling (including mine).

Thank Sean
For an item that is so expensive I'm amazed at how little info you get on websites. I have emailed a few suppliers but not had a single reply yet. Would be perfectly happy to but second hand but there doesn't seem to be that many about. Guess you need to be in the right place at the right time.

giordan ones will - just ask for correct screens.

my LS/DB 12 framer has 3 screens for deep brood frames.

BTW Giordan make to order but beware - italian holiday season is now upon us so factory is shut basically until end aug/sept.

My 9 frame radial, which takes 9 Manleys with room to spare (bought s/h but originally from Park Beekeeping) takes 14x12's with the optional screens. Mine has the chrome screens - but stainless are available, just more expensive.
I suspect that all the metal bits are from Lega.

Buy one and not change it?
I bet you get attracted to the idea of upgrading it with a motor next year!

I once extracted 14x12 frames using tangential screens. Sticky and labour intensive were my impressions.

I think that scoring them up and putting them above a crown board, with a feed hole, above a super might be my next strategy, in the hope that the bees move it into the supers after taking their 30% or so.

Fingers crossed!

giordan ones will - just ask for correct screens.

my LS/DB 12 framer has 3 screens for deep brood frames.

BTW Giordan make to order but beware - italian holiday season is now upon us so factory is shut basically until end aug/sept.

I use an 8 frame radial giordan which came with screens that will cope wtih 14x12 tangential extraction.

I bought from clive at agrinova and found him very user friendly - search the forum for "agrinova" to see what others think of him.

12 by 14 supers????

No.
That would be silly, as previously discussed in another thread.

In this case, the OP said ---
... As all my hives are 14x12, and it's a lot of money, I felt it would be useful to have that option when they decide to pack a brood frame with honey that they're reluctant to move up. ...

12 by 14 supers????

Done it more than once. A good way to get drawn comb which is nice and even. A cinch with a strong OSR flow.

Latest posts

Back