Ants in the roof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davelin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
For the past few weeks I have noticed a steady trail of ants going up the outside of my hives. There is a congregation of them in the roof, they don't appear to be going into the hive itself.
In the roof I have blocks of insulation (B and Q Jablite). The ants seemed to be tunnelling in and around this although there was no evidence of a nest in it. Last week I took the insulation out of one of the roofs and now the ants have abandoned that hive totally, although they are still going into the one with insulation..
Weird I thought, do they have a polystyrene fetish?

Nippon between 2 slates held apart with match sticks so the bees can't get at it

redwood - would that be official bbka approved sterling silver commemorative matchsticks or just common or garden household ones?

Out of interest, is this stuff foil covered like kingspan? If so, have you taped over the cut ends?

No it doesn't have any foil on it, I wedged some bits around the edge to hold it tight and they seem to be burrowing in between them.

Nippon between 2 slates held apart with match sticks so the bees can't get at it

I will order matchsticks from BBKA! Where am I putting the slates? on the ground where the ants run or on top of the crown board?

I tried a good smear of vaseline (actually pound shop petroleum jelly around each block the hive was standing on. Discouraged them a bit without being poisonous.

Update.

Removed insulation from both roofs now. Not an ant in sight.

Weird:confused:

Weird

Not really. Cold and nothing to take back to the ant nest.

I leave insulation in my roofs all year round.

Latest posts

Back