maybe a long trip home (interrupted mating flight?)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
just been to out apiary to add clearer boards and the tell tale signs of a swarm with bees everywhere and collecting on the roof of a Q+ hive

i saw the q in the gathering clump and added her to a nuc which i left on the roof for the rest of the bees to enter (swarm reaction)

however

im now thinking it was probably a mating flight (i have 3 colonies there expecting newly mated queens v soon plus time of day and year) and i am wondering if i should just let them go as not sure which hive from....they are not from the hive they alighted on as was Q+ last week and MQ still in situ...

let go again or leave?

well....

i went back and let the queen back into the clump of bees in the hope they were a mating flight and would steer her home

left the nuc next to them too

today, queen and bees all back in nuc....so must have been v small swarm...and laying

so, this colony is doing v well....amazing that this seems to have been a swarm mid august and i wondered if a returning mating flight

it now has a good number of bees...the q is present and doing ok...though i have found what looks like a recent emerged QC

wonder if its a supersedure....didnt look through for an unmarked q but will keep an eye on this nuc to see if it makes it...seems strong enough to wiht 5 frames BIAS now

Swarm queens are often superseded
Best of luck with them
You might well be happily surprised in the spring.

so, this colony is doing v well....amazing that this seems to have been a swarm mid august and i wondered if a returning mating flight

it now has a good number of bees...the q is present and doing ok...though i have found what looks like a recent emerged QC

wonder if its a supersedure....didnt look through for an unmarked q but will keep an eye on this nuc to see if it makes it...seems strong enough to wiht 5 frames BIAS now
They keep you guessing don’t they? Best to let them get on with things, I reckon.

Swarm queens are often superseded
Best of luck with them
You might well be happily surprised in the spring.
thanks Dani

gave the update because i had posted this back in aug when i thought id nuc'd a returning mating flight and went back and added the q back into the clump of bees that hadnt entered the nuc i put her in (with QE on front entrance)

so interested to see if they do supercede...interested to know if mating would also be delayed for new q until spring or would daughter have already mated (hardly any drones about)

so interested to see if they do supercede...interested to know if mating would also be delayed for new q until spring or would daughter have already mated (hardly any drones about)
Virgin queens have a very narrow window for mating. A matter of weeks. If they aren’t mated in that window they become drone layers

gave the update because i had posted this back in aug when i thought id nuc'd a returning mating flight and went back and added the q back into the clump of bees that hadnt entered the nuc i put her in (with QE on front entrance)
Yes I remember that.
Bees continually surprise us and they have a way of surviving what we do to them

Virgin queens have a very narrow window for mating. A matter of weeks. If they aren’t mated in that window they become drone layers
that was what i thought to be the case

interesting that i have seen people on here agree that a colony with a marked queen in sept has ended up with an unmarked but laying q in early spring/first inspection meaning they can mate successfully quite late on, even when drones seem v scarce

interesting that i have seen people on here agree that a colony with a marked queen in sept has ended up with an unmarked but laying q in early spring/first inspection meaning they can mate successfully quite late on, even when drones seem v scarce
but it also coincides with a time when most sensible beeks are inspecting less frequently (August onwards) so stage one ofthe supersedure could already have happened with mother and daughter happily coexisting until the spring

Have mentioned before I’ve found 3 in 1 hive before😂

Have mentioned before I’ve found 3 in 1 hive before😂
same here - the old three year old queen, the assumed overwintered supersedure daughter, then at the end of the summer they were joined by another unmarked queen

Latest posts

Back