Another witch burning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Must be bored to day, decided to leaf through the BBKA comic, I wanted to read Rachel Mongers piece properly but whilst trying to find it I glanced upon the 'Things to do in February' piece, to notice that their current 'master' beekeeper is hinting that perhaps scraping and burning the inside of the hive during the 'spring cleaning' may not be such a wise idea as propolis may be beneficial to the bees (well I never!)
Don't say they're finally accepting 'modern' ideas and dragging themselves into the twentieth century? 😁
Either that or we may find a new wicker man being built at Stoneleigh when the Tradex arrives.

Must be bored to day, decided to leaf through the BBKA comic, I wanted to read Rachel Mongers piece properly but whilst trying to find it I glanced upon the 'Things to do in February' piece, to notice that their current 'master' beekeeper is hinting that perhaps scraping and burning the inside of the hive during the 'spring cleaning' may not be such a wise idea as propolis may be beneficial to the bees (well I never!)
Don't say they're finally accepting 'modern' ideas and dragging themselves into the twentieth century? 😁
Either that or we may find a new wicker man being built at Stoneleigh when the Tradex arrives.

The author of that article is a much respected teacher and innovative member of Suffolk BKA.

The author of that article is a much respected teacher and innovative member of Suffolk BKA
If he carries on with that much innovation and talking sense, can't see him lasting long then

I watched a video a while back, really can't remember which one but I think it was one of Marla Spivak's grad students where the suggestion was that propolis seems to lose potency after 6 months or so. If that's the case then perhaps it would be a good idea to scrape the old stuff away and let them start again!

Last edited:
their current 'master' beekeeper is hinting that perhaps scraping and burning the inside of the hive during the 'spring cleaning' may not be such a wise idea as propolis may be beneficial to the bees (well I never!)

especially if you leave the bees inside.....

Sir Roger of Wisborough had a similar epiphany recently.
I had an epiphany once, I found it a bit rich and overloaded with cream, so I only just stick to a custard slice or maybe a Manchester tart

I believe Sir Roger of Wisborough had a similar epiphany recently. Maybe its contagious?
Is the end of the world nigh ? .... I must have a look at Old Moore's Almanac and Nostradamus to see if the Horsemen are due to arrive this year ....

I had an epiphany once, I found it a bit rich and overloaded with cream, so I only just stick to a custard slice or maybe a Manchester tart
Are Manchester tarts tastier than your local tarts then Jenkins?

did you survive to read Rachel's article....i guess just a good descriptive update but v nice to read

As a newbie who is just about to scorch my second hand hive, do you have any advice that doesn’t involve letting me loose with a blowtorch

As a newbie who is just about to scorch my second hand hive, do you have any advice that doesn’t involve letting me loose with a blowtorch
If it's a newly acquired second hand hive then you can never be guaranteed of its provenance - so I would give it a good blast with a blowtorch, pay especial attention to the corners and any crack/nooks which may he a haven for any nasties

if it's a second hand hive, from a disease prevention point of view, blow torching is essential.
Taught mantra from some for a long time has been that bees need cleaning out every year with freshly sterilised brood boxes, floors and crown boards. Usually combined with a shook swarm at the first opportunity in the Spring.

most thinking beekeepers have moved past this as its not working with the bees and will quite possibly make a hive more susceptible to disease by stressing them

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back