Another witch burning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caucasian bee gathers really much propolis, but I do not know, is the race any healthier. It has same diseases as others.

There are 32 diseases in bees, and none is healed by propolis.

I am not claiming that propolis heals bees, I am passing on the information that Marla Spivak et al have evidence from their research that honeybees collect propolis in order to keep themselves and their colony healthier than they would be if they didn't.

I am not claiming that propolis heals bees, I am passing on the information that Marla Spivak et al have evidence from their research that honeybees collect propolis in order to keep themselves and their colony healthier than they would be if they didn't.

. Everyone knows, that bees collect propolis and it is not secret how bees use it.

But I have not seen during my 35 polyhive years, that bees cover inner walls with propolis. Something wrong in my eyes.

Last edited:
I am passing on the information that Marla Spivak et al have evidence from their research that honeybees collect propolis in order to keep themselves and their colony healthier than they would be if they didn't.
Ive also made a huge scientific breakthrough……….Bees/colonies that collect nectar live longer than those that don’t.

. Everyone knows, that bees collect propolis and it is not secret how bees use it.

But I have not seen during my 35 polyhive years, that bees cover inner walls with propolis. Something wrong in my eyes.
Watch Spivlaks video you will see that bees are able to cement the propolis into the uneven rough walls of a tree but cannot do that on the smooth walls of tthe hives we now use.

Watch Spivlaks video you will see that bees are able to cement the propolis into the uneven rough walls of a tree but cannot do that on the smooth walls of tthe hives we now use.
Bees can and do cement propolis any place in a hive they like. The smoothest surfaces I’ve ever seen were in a old BIG Yew I split that quite frankly could have held bees on and off for a 100 years. Not a man made hive! They really had turned the side walls into a piece of art. The only way to really describe it was like water worn stone but with the pronounced grain. Truly spectacular.

So can I ask you..Do you think a colony in smooth walled man made hive managed by a reasonable beekeeper is less or more likely to survive long term. Or it’s unmanaged counter part in a tree trunk with lots of propolis the ultimate survivor. The answer to this question should give an indication to the value of the information.

We discussed this concept a few months ago and whilst n=1 is a poor sample, I'm afraid to say the idea appears to be a load of twaddle. Many of my hives are ones I've made myself and they are not sanded/planed so are rough inside thus there should be no reason the bees wouldn't propolise them. Yet the bees do not propolise the walls. They do propolise small gaps though!

Attachments

• 20210910_141311.jpg
    20210910_141311.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
So much wisdom and so many epiphanies in this thread that I'm going to have a glass of prune juice with a twist of lime. They say it will cure what ails you.

If a hive is contaminated with a brood disease like AFB/EFB, I'm either going to burn the hive or scrape and char the inside to eliminate the disease. Otherwise, I tend to leave it to the bees to put propolis where they want if. If it gets in my way I remove enough to manipulate the frames leaving the rest as is.

My bees don't know this. They put lots of propolis on my smooth frame top bars.

IMG_20220208_104227076_HDR.jpg
We discussed this concept a few months ago and whilst n=1 is a poor sample, I'm afraid to say the idea appears to be a load of twaddle. Many of my hives are ones I've made myself and they are not sanded/planed so are rough inside thus there should be no reason the bees wouldn't propolise them. Yet the bees do not propolise the walls. They do propolise small gaps though!
Your propolis looks the standard colour, as it is in my photo. Someone once said (I think it was Michael Bush?), and I agree with it, that propolis is both good and bad :)

I watched The SBA’s webinar last night
He’s a photo of what she has tried in some of her hives.
@pargyle
I know you and I amongst others paint their hives inside but I wondered whether you might join me in doing this to a box or two so that the bees might make their own propolis envelope.
83A0EED7-A4CC-4FFD-8BC6-8E98FD8CBEDC.jpeg

I watched it as well. She seemed to indicate that Populus genus was THE preferred source of resin. Although horse chestnut was also mentioned as a source I did wonder what others bee use regularly - anyone ?

Latest posts

Back