Another witch burning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the end of the world nigh ? .... I must have a look at Old Moore's Almanac and Nostradamus to see if the Horsemen are due to arrive this year ....
Four of us rode as horsemen of the apocalypse at an Icelandic horse association celebration a few years ago. I was War on my red horse.

Attachments

• IMG_20141005_223733.JPG
    IMG_20141005_223733.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 37
I watched a video a while back, really can't remember which one but I think it was one of Marla Spivak's grad students where the suggestion was that propolis seems to lose potency after 6 months or so. If that's the case then perhaps it would be a good idea to scrape the old stuff away and let them start again!
If you could recall some extra info. on that Video I would be very interested in watching it, it's likely mentioned in a Paper, but maybe it's not published yet.

If you could recall some extra info. on that Video I would be very interested in watching it, it's likely mentioned in a Paper, but maybe it's not published yet.
Sadly, I can't. I've tried to find it but without success. I see that Marla Spivak is scheduled to do a zoom talk for the Scottish beekeepers so this might be a good question for someone to ask.

Why they are not healthy then?

Nobody has said that they are not healthy.

While going about their daily business they come into contact with many different bacteria, fungi and viruses which can negatively impact their own individual microbiomes and potentially those of their nest mates and, perhaps even more lethally, the brood. Remarkably, for the most part, they do remain healthy. Marla and her team are researching the mechanisms by which they achieve this.

OK, here it is, in the question and answer section. Very shakey research at present but does suggest that its very much dependent on fresh propolis being taken in by the bees.

Nobody has said that they are not healthy.

While going about their daily business they come into contact with many different bacteria, fungi and viruses which can negatively impact their own individual microbiomes and potentially those of their nest mates and, perhaps even more lethally, the brood. Remarkably, for the most part, they do remain healthy. Marla and her team are researching the mechanisms by which they achieve this.

I'm not sure the point of the first half of the paragraph - how is that different to every other species on the planet?

"Four of us rode as horsemen of the apocalypse at an Icelandic horse association celebration a few years ago. I was War on my red horse."

Not the 5th Horseman.... Health & Safety then???;)
Nah - the fifth horseman was kaos but he retired, changed his name to Ronnie Soak and became a milkman. A nodding acquaintance of Susan Sto-Helit. H&S is merely a modern fantasy spectre that spawns all sorts of impediments to human ingenuity through the tentacles of its offspring.

I'm not sure the point of the first half of the paragraph - how is that different to every other species on the planet?

No difference - except that this is a beekeeping forum and Marla Spivak and her team are only investing time, effort and funding into researching the impact of those pathogens on honeybee colonies and the responses made by said colonies.

Nah - the fifth horseman was kaos but he retired, changed his name to Ronnie Soak and became a milkman. A nodding acquaintance of Susan Sto-Helit. H&S is merely a modern fantasy spectre that spawns all sorts of impediments to human ingenuity through the tentacles of its offspring.

Think of H&S as anti Darwinism. dumbing down the gene pool ;) Maybe Bloody Stupid Johnson was actually the H&S spectre gone mad?

Latest posts

Back