Another newbie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
Hope im doing this correctly.I have been interested in wildlife and nature all my life and for a long long time fancied the idea of having a bee hive .I have read books (slowly cause im a slow reader) watched a lot of yutube films and booked on a course for next month .Although only a day course.
Anyway i have now decided to take the plunge and am getting a nuc today hopefully.
I have bought a poly hive and its all set up so just have to see how it all goes later today.
I have picked up lots of tips from this forum and im sure i will be back on it very soon asking questions.
So this is just to say hello from a lancashire newbie.

Try and get some help today. If you've not joined a local group then find them, contact and ask if someone can give you some time. You need a mentor, but for the moment, a second knowledgeable pair of eyes and hands will be an enormous advantage. The 'one day course' is just a taster so that people can see if they really do feel comfortable with bees.
You do have a good bee-suit, boots and gloves don't you? Never, ever open a hive without protection whatever you see on youtube.
Hope you have lots of satisfaction in your bee-keeping life; it's an addictive hobby (especially for masochists).

Welcome fullframe!
Welcome and congratulations on your first nuc. I'm a newbie myself, only had my bees over a week.

I agree regarding the suit - make sure you have appropriate protection. I have a jacket & veil and decent boots. I wear thick trousers and make sure there's nowhere for bees to crawl (tuck them into socks). It doesn't look great but I reckon it looks better than someone losing their nerve after a sting or two.

I transferred my nuc to my poly hive the night I got it. As I hadn't handled bees prior, I forgot to give them a quick look over each side to make sure they have BIAS and no QCs.
I made sure I was at the next association apiary meeting, inspected a bunch of hives and got really comfortable with them. Then my next inspection on my own hive was a lot easier and smoother.

Also, have a look in the sticky section, you'll find some kind members have posted their inspection checklists.

Anyway, enjoy the hobby!

Move slowly. Keep your eyes open. Read a lot. Listen seriously to the advice given. Make up your own mind.

I think, when sorting through all of the advice and rhetoric you will encounter, it’s worth knowing your goal with beekeeping. Do you want to harvest honey? Do you want to propagate bees? Raise queens? Do you just want a beehive in your backyard? When you know this, it will go a long way towards helping you decode and decide what you are hearing. Queen excluders, hive styles, box depth, sugar feeding... lots of opinions but lots of different reasons for, and scales of, beekeeping. So get to grips with why you are doing this and you’ll be much farther along your way to feeling comfortable about your decisions.

welcome Fullframe
Im another newbie,
I started with a swarm though a couple of weeks ago not a nuc which is probably the best way to go.
I'm learning daily:)

Thanks for all your comments.Just a quick update.
The nuc was delivered today and the beekeeper put them straight into my new poly hive . The bee keeper checked the frames and they looked fine and had seen the queen unmarked.Im afraid to say i did not due to the fact that i had forgot to put my glasses on before putting the bee suit on.Lessen learnt.The beekeeper then realised that it was the wrong nuc and not the one that was intended for me as this one contained a new mated queen. I was told to leave the hive alone for a couple of weeks and then the beekeeper will return and carry out an inspection and also bring another nuc if all is not well i assume.
I will add that the beekeeper is very experienced and well known so i have confidence .Is this normal .

I am not keen on this nuc arriving and hiving business.

I ask my buyers to put the nuc next to the hive and let them settle a day or two before hiving. These are not objects to be moved hither and thither but living creatures who deserve to be treated with respect.

Sorry if this sounds negative but start as you mean to continue.

PH

Thanks for all your comments.Just a quick update.
The nuc was delivered today and the beekeeper put them straight into my new poly hive . The bee keeper checked the frames and they looked fine and had seen the queen unmarked.Im afraid to say i did not due to the fact that i had forgot to put my glasses on before putting the bee suit on.Lessen learnt.The beekeeper then realised that it was the wrong nuc and not the one that was intended for me as this one contained a new mated queen. I was told to leave the hive alone for a couple of weeks and then the beekeeper will return and carry out an inspection and also bring another nuc if all is not well i assume.
I will add that the beekeeper is very experienced and well known so i have confidence .Is this normal .

If the nuc was not meant for you, why is he/she going to bring another one. Making assumptions, I'd say the beekeeper meant to give you a nuc with a marked queen and realised this one was not properly tested. I have never had a beekeeper come along to inspect a nuc I have bought from them.

Last edited:
Probably showing how new I am to this, but what would be wrong with a newly mated Queen?

If the nuc was not meant for you, why is he/she going to bring another one. Making assumptions, I'd say the beekeeper meant to give you a nuc with a marked queen and realised this one was not properly tested. I have never had a beekeeper come along to inspect a nuc I have bought from them.

Sounds about right and the fact he is returning to make sure all is well or replace, seems to imply he is a decent sort.

Latest posts

Back