another feed question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all, help please. I've one colony occupying half of a 14x12 bb which has just about run out of stores. I fed them 1/2 gal 1:1 syrup 3 days ago which they have taken down. How long will this last them or do you think they've already eaten it and not stored it ? If they have eaten it i obviously need to get more feed on quick. Thanks, nuc.

Hi all, help please. I've one colony occupying half of a 14x12 bb which has just about run out of stores. I fed them 1/2 gal 1:1 syrup 3 days ago which they have taken down. How long will this last them or do you think they've already eaten it and not stored it ? If they have eaten it i obviously need to get more feed on quick. Thanks, nuc.
You need to have a look or heft the hive to find out if they have stored it, probably half and half with no nectar flow

What is that? A kilo and a half of sugar? Open brood present? Drawing any comb? Heating the whole box?

Not long, I suspect.

2 kg sugar, small amount of brood, 7 frames with bees on six and a dummy board. 7th frame foundation but not drawing much as too cold at the moment.

2 kg sugar, small amount of brood, 7 frames with bees on six and a dummy board. 7th frame foundation but not drawing much as too cold at the moment.

so your six frames of 14x12 is about a BS national and the 2kg of sugar is you have given them about 5lbs of honey or BS nat frame of honey

i work on minimum store of 10lb in a Nat and 15lb in a full 14x12

looking at the long range weather forecast for May....it is likey i will shortly be off to buy Sugar from Bookers..on a watching brief

Last edited:
Where you are building up a colony (so no crop supers on), the only downside to feeding (apart from the slight cost of some sugar) is making sure that you don't let them store so much that HMQ runs out of space to lay.

The less drawn comb you have, the narrower the tightrope you must walk!

If you REALLY don't know how things are going (maybe you aren't used to hefting a new hive), opening up to see is probably less risky than heading for either starvation or swarming. Scylla or Charybdis?

If you are checking for laying space and stores, don't waste lid-off time on a cool day checking that the queen is there let alone trying to spot her.
If your worry is about whether laying space or stores running out, then get the lid back on absolutely as soon as that question is settled.
One solid frame of stores should keep a nuc going for a couple of weeks, especially since they will try and pop out during any brief gap in the weather. If you can grab the opportunity as well, you can maybe save yourself some worry.

Many thanks muswell. Will make a note of that and give more feed asap. Itma, did check on monday and virtually no stores left so gave syrup as stated. Persistent rain means i am reluctant to take the cb off but i supose i can get someone to hold an umbrella if needed. Dont think the queen is short of space at this moment, just something to eat. Thanks all, nuc.

Last edited:
2 kg sugar,

Hello! 2kgs of sugar and 2 kg of water will not fit into 2.25l! There is quite a difference.

Back