Angry Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin G

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What do you suppose are the reasons a colony could become aggressive?

I’ve got one that has grown well so far this year, with 2 supers both 90% full of stores and bias (no excluder).
For weeks it’s been very aggressive with the bees following me around 20M to my car. It takes about 10 minutes of wandering around to get them to ‘leave me alone’

7 days ago on inspection I found some sealed QC’s. Did a split with a QC in each.
Yesterday there were three more QC’s in the original hive so I left them as they were, perhaps they’ll swarm and take the angry queen elsewhere. Knowing my luck into a bait hive and it’ll all start again!

The confusing thing is that the QC’s are sealed and there doesn’t seem to have been any reduction in colony size as if they’d swarmed. But there are only ever a few QC’s not several as you may expect.

I’ve though about them being Q’less but that wouldn’t explain their behaviour earlier in the year, and where would the QC’s have come from. They’re Proper swarm cells not emergency or supersedure, but I suppose they may have not read the book telling them about cell types and they could be supersedure cells.

In all other respects it’s a thriving colony which is doing well. Perhaps they’re just anti-beesuite! Activists for the free bee league, who knows.

Ideas welcomed,

Martin

Sounds to me like they have already swarmed. Did you see any new eggs in there. If not then the queen has probably gone, which will explain why they are a bit tetchy

Take a water spray with you next time, and spray them with the water if they follow you. I have a real nasty hive that does the same. Once they have been sprayed with water they soon settle down and followers fly back home.

But as for the reason they have gone nasty, I'm not sure, but there are a few reasons why a nice hive can turn nasty.

Best thing to do is requeen from more gentle stock. Some bees are genetically nasty. They become even more intolerable when you A/S.
Cazza

so I left them as they were, perhaps they’ll swarm and take the angry queen elsewhere.

Not really the way to 'keep' bees? Perhaps they are trying to supoercede?

Water spray,

I'll give that a try. Do you give a spray mist over the flying bees once you've reassembled the hive?

Oliver: I know what you mean, we should be able to sort these things out, and I'm sure I will, but sometimes it does get frustrating.

Supercedure was certainly something I thought about, but it was the cause of this change in behaviour that I was pondering. I suppose they could be agitated if the queen wasn't performing.

Martin

Water spray,

I'll give that a try. Do you give a spray mist over the flying bees once you've reassembled the hive?

Martin

Once I open the roof I spray the boiling bees, smoking them does not work. But once they have been sprayed with water they all settle down

I always have a water spray handy for spraying the bees and myself through the veil to cool down on a hot day

I always have a water spray handy for spraying the bees and myself through the veil to cool down on a hot day

No good for me as I wear glasses...

Latest posts

Back