An embarrassment of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My 4 hives have done exceptionally well this year, thanks to some very favourable weather. Last year, I got 5 jars of honey, this year I’m estimating about 40kg.
I have got supers part filled which I would like to leave for the benefit of the bees, but never having been in this position before, I’m not sure how to do it. I assume I cannot just leave them on top of my brood and a halves. maybe just slip the frames into the lower half broods to replace any frames without brood?

My 4 hives have done exceptionally well this year, thanks to some very favourable weather. Last year, I got 5 jars of honey, this year I’m estimating about 40kg.
I have got supers part filled which I would like to leave for the benefit of the bees, but never having been in this position before, I’m not sure how to do it. I assume I cannot just leave them on top of my brood and a halves. maybe just slip the frames into the lower half broods to replace any frames without brood?
Taking care as there's a real risk of robbing right now but I'd suggest nadiring. Put the shallow with the part filled frames underneath the deep box.

I recommend doing this in conjunction with an underfloor entrance to reduce robbing risk.

EDIT: do later in the season if you do it. See JBM's post below.

Last edited:
As usual, its a case of wait and see and the bees will sort it all lut

If theyre uncapped they'll end up taking it down into the brood box in the next few weeks.I've got gives taking uncapped down already.
They are clever bees. I wish mine were that clever!

In one of my weaker colonies today the UFE seemed to make robbing much easier.
I was also surprised at how many wasps get in.
If the colony is too weak, it won't have enough bees to line the entrance slot to guard it, try reducing the entrance to make it easier for them

But IMHO nadiring a super of stores at this time of year is utter madness.
Take the supers off and extract - if the honey isn't ripe, feed it back to the bees in the autumn (it's still the middle of summer BTW!) if it is ripe, keep it for yourself and feed syrup in the autumn

If theyre uncapped they'll end up taking it down into the brood box in the next few weeks.I've got gives taking uncapped down already.
They are clever bees. I wish mine were that clever!
happens every year once the autumn beckons, I'm doubtful the heather will come to much this year what with the dry summer - and the amount of wild fires on the Black Mountain. Flow is more or less over so maybe they are hunkering down earlier than usual.

If the colony is too weak, it won't have enough bees to line the entrance slot to guard it, try reducing the entrance to make it easier for them

But IMHO nadiring a super of stores at this time of year is utter madness.
Take the supers off and extract - if the honey isn't ripe, feed it back to the bees in the autumn (it's still the middle of summer BTW!) if it is ripe, keep it for yourself and feed syrup in the autumn

happens every year once the autumn beckons, I'm doubtful the heather will come to much this year what with the dry summer - and the amount of wild fires on the Black Mountain. Flow is more or less over so maybe they are hunkering down earlier than usual.
Agreed, as per JBM. Right now risk of robbing high. Visited apiary earlier to see one of my nucs being robbed.

Think we won't get a heather crop here either sadly. Too dry.

From the behaviour of my bees I'm seriously considering feeding.

Think we won't get a heather crop here either sadly. Too dry.
No, Will, don't think that!

Up at Hankley today I found very heavy supers of bell heather, nearly all capped.

It's still in flower and for the first time, ling is about to open. Usually it turns brown about now, frazzled before it can flower.

I put supers on there about three weeks ago and didn't think anything would come of it, but there were brief spells of rain in late June, which may have made the difference.

Still tinder-dry up there; heath caught fire last week but they got it under control pretty quickly.

No, Will, don't think that!

Up at Hankley today I found very heavy supers of bell heather, nearly all capped.

It's still in flower and for the first time, ling is about to open. Usually it turns brown about now, frazzled before it can flower.

I put supers on there about three weeks ago and didn't think anything would come of it, but there were brief spells of rain in late June, which may have made the difference.

Still tinder-dry up there; heath caught fire last week but they got it under control pretty quickly.
I hope you're right. Mine have been at Frensham for a couple of weeks but nothing yet. I hope the ling flowers, I got a couple of supers from the one hive I put there last summer, but to me it looked like it got frazzled last week.

The fire did worry me when I heard about it! At least it will rejuvenate the heather for future years.

Glad you've got something at least and thank you for the encouragement.

In one of my weaker colonies today the UFE seemed to make robbing much easier.
I was also surprised at how many wasps get in.
I make my UFE's a third of the way back and each floor gets a tailor made entrance block allowing two bee spaces. Once this is put in there is quite a long tunnel to get in so that the bees can line it with guards. Worth thinking about for any future floors you make

The further back the better, perhaps?

I bought (out of curiosity) a couple of old heather floors on eBay some years ago, and the entrance slots are about 60% back.
Kewl floors - what UFE's were based on

I make my UFE's a third of the way back and each floor gets a tailor made entrance block allowing two bee spaces. Once this is put in there is quite a long tunnel to get in so that the bees can line it with guards. Worth thinking about for any future floors you make
Thanks for the advice.
I have restricted the 8mm entry slot to about 2cm. I did it last night at about 10pm, one bee expressed her displeasure and you should see my hand!
The bees were still at it this morning so my wife covered the hive with a wet sheet.
How long do we leave the sheet on, and what about foragers that are already out?

so it's bees robbing out the hive not wasps - type of floor will make no difference then.
Agree. The robber bees have figured out the new UF entrance fairly quickly (the robbers don't (yet) have a UFE). I think the colony was and still is protecting themselves but we decided to give them a little bit of help with the sheet (and the restricted slot).

At the same time we have a huge wasp challenge. Yesterday I emptied three traps full. I've resorted to placing syrup some distance away to attract them there. They finished the syrup so quickly! There are hundreds of wasps hanging around the hives - when we opened one yesterday I needed a full time wasp swatter - actually stopped and closed the hive as they were diving in.
I've seen a few wasps going in via the UFE. On one hive I had built a tunnel with conduit and it generally works, only seen one wasp stroll in. It's the only hive with a conduit tunnel and the robbers haven't yet figured it out.

placing syrup some distance away to attract them there. They finished the syrup so quickly! There are hundreds of wasps hanging around the hives
Predictable.

Your only option is to move the colonies 2-3 miles away (hopefully, to an area with fewer wasps) for a month.

You may know a farmer or a friend with a garden. Do it asap or it'll all be over.

If the colony can fit in a nuc box so much the better, for transport and defence.

Latest posts

Back