Almost made me cry!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't want to hijack the thread but anyone got any cool tools for getting the last little dribble of honey out of the extractor or bucket?
Cazza

Plastic spatula from any cookery store. Most have one square-ish corner and another rounded one. Needs to be flexible to get the best out of it.

strainaway used to sell a great plastic paddle ideal for the last scrapeings from honey containers

just put the honey into jars, and have 10lb in total! which is ideal a couple for my landlord who kindly let me put bees in garden, couple for the owners of the hive in rock i look after and the rest for me!! still have the cappings draining, but frames back in the hive for girls to clean.

Just me Yep think you would be ok, you would probably need the blue barrel option rather than dustbin, allows for wiggles when spinning!

just put the honey into jars, and have 10lb in total! which is ideal a couple for my landlord who kindly let me put bees in garden, couple for the owners of the hive in rock i look after and the rest for me!! still have the cappings draining, but frames back in the hive for girls to clean.

Just me Yep think you would be ok, you would probably need the blue barrel option rather than dustbin, allows for wiggles when spinning!

Thanks Milkermel, and will go with your recommendation:.)

Honey Bubbles

I extracted mine today as well & filled a jar just to see what it looked like . There are a lot of air bubbles in it , will they eventually come to the top or should I have left it to settle longer in the tank?
My first year , so I only had a half dozen frames to extract . I made a few splits to increase my stock.

Yep bubbles will eventually rise to the top - keep the jars in a warm place to speed up the process - your first honey always tastes the best congrats:party:

probably need the blue barrel option rather than dustbin,

I would prefer something that is at least food quality plastic and I think that if you are selling your product to the public it would probaly have to be..

I extracted mine today as well & filled a jar just to see what it looked like . There are a lot of air bubbles in it , will they eventually come to the top or should I have left it to settle longer in the tank?
My first year , so I only had a half dozen frames to extract . I made a few splits to increase my stock.

My first year as well. I tried leaving it in the tank for a couple of days but still had bubbles in it as it was really treacly- warmed it slightly and then the bubbles could rise.

Lovely jubbly:hurray:

Well, I can confirm that my little extract was the most exciting thing ever, Well nearly.
After all the worry, and ups and downs of two years the honey tasted so very good.

BTW I too got a jar or 2 just letting things drip for a day.

But the best thing was putting the extractor and frames out for the bees to clean up. They were so grateful.

is this a good idea?

open feeding has been frowned upon on here before due to the potential to spread disease.

I would prefer something that is at least food quality plastic and I think that if you are selling your product to the public it would probaly have to be..

yes, if you are selling it has to be food quality plastic or stainless steel.

Sorry for the detail and all but it is part of the 'day job' for me. The law makes no differentiation between whether a product is 'sold' or 'gifted'. In both instances the Foods Safety Act and the European Food Safety Directive both apply (along with the various labelling regs and Weights & Measures of course). As such food grade materials and appropraite hygiene / segregation must be employed and maintained (strictly speaking HACCP stdies and practice as well). Most Local Authority Food Safety teams do not bother about 'gifting' and only take an interest when an individual starts to sell from the door or at school fetes and the like, at that point registration becomes necessary and inspection possible. That said it is as well to get appropriate kit from the outset, afterall your families health is more important than any paying customer, albeit from a liability perspective less problematic!

Sorry for the detail and all but it is part of the 'day job' for me. The law makes no differentiation between whether a product is 'sold' or 'gifted'. In both instances the Foods Safety Act and the European Food Safety Directive both apply (along with the various labelling regs and Weights & Measures of course). As such food grade materials and appropraite hygiene / segregation must be employed and maintained (strictly speaking HACCP stdies and practice as well). Most Local Authority Food Safety teams do not bother about 'gifting' and only take an interest when an individual starts to sell from the door or at school fetes and the like, at that point registration becomes necessary and inspection possible. That said it is as well to get appropriate kit from the outset, afterall your families health is more important than any paying customer, albeit from a liability perspective less problematic!

registration with who?

I havn't heard of that before :confused:

the plastic drums i use will be food quality as it is used in the production of MILK! totally understand the health and safety issues and food hygiene regs. No gifting or selling involved for me my 10 jars are priceless to me and the other hive owner!

I think you might have to be registered with local authourity to sell foodstuffs of the prepared variety.... and that the goody foody clean up your premises and dont cook the rats people know where to come and look...

If you look in a mobile chip van there should be a certificate saying that Fred has been passed to handle food etc or some blurb like that.. Womens Institute have to have certificate for their jam and cake preparation premises...

plaese dont shoot me down for this but as i understand this.
to prepare and sell food products you need a basic food hygene certificate.

you also need to register for a licence to sell your products.
The licence is issued by the local council in the area you sell your food products.
The local council will not refuse anyone a licence to sell products and its free.
However when you apply for a licence to sell you must give the address where the products are prepared.
The local council then has the right to inspect this property for food hygene reasons.

im pretty sure this is accurate.

shonto

oops taff link not working, however I was led to believe similar, as nothing is done to honey ie cooked etc then dont think even basic food hygiene cert is needed.

Anyway after a long mornings milking in the middle of a weather warning my honey on bread with a half pint of milk, sat in front of the AGA was wonderful!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back