Almost made me cry!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16 frames - 40 lb - grins wider than a very wide thing.

Thanks girls. Not bad for a 5 frame nuc in mid May.

however I was led to believe similar, as nothing is done to honey ie cooked etc then dont think even basic food hygiene cert is needed.

Granted that you dont "do" anything to it, but I would like to know that the honey producer had been informed by a qualified person about basic food hygiene and that the extracting container wasnt a dirty old dustbin..or one of the suspect looking ones I have seen for sale on ebay...

When I attended the food safety course early this year we were informed that it is not compulsary but once you have the certificate, if anything goes wrong (eg you accidentally poison someone) then you can be prosecuted.

I always thought that ignorance was no defence in law.

Similar law regarding child minders/carers.

If you have taken a child minders/carers course, you are told that it is dangerous to shake a child and if you do it and the child is injured or worse its your fault and you will be prosecuted.

If you have not taken the course and shake a child and cause injury you may not be charged...

i.e. You have been taught not to do it...

so dont slap your honey...

Granted that you dont "do" anything to it, but I would like to know that the honey producer had been informed by a qualified person about basic food hygiene and that the extracting container wasnt a dirty old dustbin..or one of the suspect looking ones I have seen for sale on ebay...

Having already done my food hygiene cert then most certainly wouldnt have used a Dirty old bin! - When watching the video that was put on Ytube it was said that if you used a bin to extract then brand new was needed.

dont think need food hygiene cert to realise that - but guess you never know

And yes it is correct that once you have done your course you are responsible if you give someone food poisoning. I left/lost a job because my supervisor want me to reheat 4day old lasagne that had been frozen as well. IMO 4 days made then frozen then reheated pasta was not a recipe for sucess, I refuesed and handed in my notice.

One needs to remember why not all plastic is food grade. The item may look the same but be made from recycled plastic which may contain bits of all sorts - paper, cardboard, chemicals, soil, etc. It may have been sterilised in the process if injection moulded or whatever, but still contains those bits which may dissolve into the honey or absorb honey into the surface, so next time it is used....'Brand new' is only good enough for your own consumption - at your risk (pretty minimal, but a risk).

The few recent posts reminds me of the 'beware of the dog' warnings - if the dog then bites anyone, you have already admitted the dog was a problem.

Regards, RAB

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back