Allergic beekeeper died from a sting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh for goodness sake spare the tears. We all die. He died quickly taking a known risk doing what he loved. He avoided stoke, prostate cancer; you name it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh for goodness sake spare the tears. We all die. He died quickly taking a known risk doing what he loved. He avoided stoke, prostate cancer; you name it.

I watched my 17 year old son die in similar circumstances.
I know what it is like watching a loved one die and being unable to help them. You have no idea what its like and, from your response, nobody will ever be able to make you understand.

I watched my 17 year old son die in similar circumstances.

I know what it is like watching a loved one die and being unable to help them. You have no idea what its like and, from your response, nobody will ever be able to make you understand.

I'm sorry for your loss and losing a child is what I fear most but I hope his wife looks at it from that perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Majority of beekeepers will not have an Epipen... and in reality should not have one unless prescribed, and then in that case will be very aware of the problems relating to a bee sting and their reaction to it... and will have received quite unambiguous instructions on the procedure to adopt if stung.

SWBBO is undergoing desensitation at present and carries a full kit of antihistamines, steroids and two Eppipens.... and all the family including our 10 year old know what to do... even down to a practice Eppipen being supplied.

I have to work alone and most of my apiaries are quite remote and also do not have mobile phone reception, fortunately I am not particularly allergic to bee stings... but I always have a pack of antihistamines with me.
I also sometimes assist a beekeeping friend who is also undergoing desensitation... she also carries the full emergency pack...... and is ALWAYS accompanied!

Tragic accidents do happen.... and life is full of risk.... I have taken a few, motorcycle racing, deep wreck diving, traveling in "war zones".... but I can never see why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aeroplane!

Yeghes da

Your response is perverse. If you did that you would have Social Services taking your child away.

The point is I am not sure what running on the spot does for adrenaline; it's a serious point raised in terms of what to do given a reaction. I'm not sure running on the spot is it. A couple of minutes on this forum might be better.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-an-Adrenaline-Rush

The point is I am not sure what running on the spot does for adrenaline; it's a serious point raised in terms of what to do given a reaction. I'm not sure running on the spot is it. A couple of minutes on this forum might be better.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-an-Adrenaline-Rush

Hoisting someone up a mast is not raising a serious point. You have failed to read my post correctly, I said exercise, not running on the spot, IIRC the girl did star jumps. Not sure if you scrolled right down to the end of the wikihow link, but there is a technique I used to use when I used to compete against youngsters who were 10-15 years younger than me. To get my adrenaline going I did quick short breaths. Running on the spot would indeed get the adrenaline going.

To be perfectly honest Anduril, it was that very same article that piqued my interest and I've been using that example in my seminars ever since.

Not sure I agree with the advice about laying down and remaining still. Professionally I think running on the spot to increase natural levels adrenaline will help slow the reaction. Only once you start to lose consciousness or feel feint should you adopt a prone position preferably with legs raised or if you have already self injected with your Epipen. I would always carry chlorpheniramine 4mg tablets and chew two into a paste and hold the paste under my tongue as the first course of action in response to a reaction whilst calling the ambulance.

D'you mean supine?

Thank you Amari. Been a long day today and I should have taken more care in describing the position.

The supine position is NOT advisable. This is because if the patient loses consciousness in the supine position (i.e. laying on their back) with associated swelling around the mouth and especially throat/neck, then the airway is placed in significant danger of obstruction with high risk of suffocation.

The ideal position to adopt is actually a modified recovery position with legs raised (as best as possible). Not very comfortable but has two advantages. One is that the legs being raised above the shoulders/head combats hypotension (loss of blood pressure). The second is that with the head tilted back in the recovery position, there is maximum protection of the airway.

Hope this makes sense.

Not sure I agree with the advice about laying down and remaining still. Professionally I think running on the spot to increase natural levels adrenaline will help slow the reaction. Only once you start to lose consciousness or feel feint should you adopt a prone position preferably with legs raised or if you have already self injected with your Epipen. I would always carry chlorpheniramine 4mg tablets and chew two into a paste and hold the paste under my tongue as the first course of action in response to a reaction whilst calling the ambulance.

Checked this out with the Medics: running on the spot or any other exertion when having or beginning to have an allergic reaction to a bee-sting (or anything else) is a recipe for disaster; dont even think of it.

Latest posts

Back