air force one deployed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
they are out in force today. its 10 degrees here and the field is alive with buzzing they seem to be going for water. And looking for something to the north of us. however the snow drops are about 2 weeks away and the hazel hasnt opened yet gorse is a month away(altho you can see the buds). I wonder what they have found.???? any ideas. The nearest hive that i know of is 2 miles east.
the only thing east is a small town about 1 mile away. hope they havnt found honey jars.

they are out in force today. its 10 degrees here and the field is alive with buzzing they seem to be going for water. And looking for something to the north of us. however the snow drops are about 2 weeks away and the hazel hasnt opened yet gorse is a month away(altho you can see the buds). I wonder what they have found.???? any ideas. The nearest hive that i know of is 2 miles east.
the only thing east is a small town about 1 mile away. hope they havnt found honey jars.

Training your bees to rob out other colonies over winter - shame on you!

:rofl:

by the way just how do you go about such training - purely for theoretical interest you understand.

:reddevil:

Hey, Newport, are your colonies anywhere near the miles of fuschia in the hedgerows around the west? If so, is it something the bees can access and what is the honey like?

I wonder what they have found.???? any ideas. The nearest hive that i know of is 2 miles east.

My guess would be either some sort of winter heather in peoples gardens, or more likely Viburnum tinus (laurustinus), which I believe they like for pollen.

One of my lot are out and about.... All over the front of the hive checking the paintwork and making sure the neighbours havent changed their cars. Very very lively.

Think they are drinking off the front of hive as its been raining.

Nothing showing from other hives tho...

Just back from mine, One hive is rally buzzing, it looks like a good day in summer. The other two are out and about but not quite so busy.

:party:

Toileting

I vote that this be a new official forum word....

I am trying to raise the tone- already lost the adult section.
New Year resolution, and years of working in the care of elderly world!!

Same here.. very warm 10C - cloudy and damp.

One hive milling around entrance. Other hive? One bee..

8˚ here. Very still and misty. Quite a lot of activity from two hives, they are walking about on the front of the box,taking short orientation flights and some heading of purposefully into the foggy yonder. The other is quiet with just the odd bee peering out.

Training your bees to rob out other colonies over winter - shame on you!

:rofl:

by the way just how do you go about such training - purely for theoretical interest you understand.

:reddevil:

i catch a jam jar full of bees and release them beside the hive i want to rob.

Hey, Newport, are your colonies anywhere near the miles of fuschia in the hedgerows around the west? If so, is it something the bees can access and what is the honey like?

i have seen some honey which is suposed to come from fushia and it looks like sugar syrup (clear) i have never tasted it but i hear it is a lovely delicate flavor. i am about 20 miles from any decent patch of fushia. my main crop is clover and dandalion and bramble. and of course ivy.

Plenty of activity in one of my apiaries today with lots of 'poo flights' going on and piles of dead bees appearing below the hive entrances which were rapidly being removed by the local small bird population.

11c and cloudy with on/off drizzle.

Popped off of the crownboards and they still have plenty of stores left (6 to 8 full brood frames each......in double brood Nationals containing 22 frames each), with only one requiring some additional fondant as a belt and braces job.

The open mess floors were surprisingly clear considering we're in January.

Overall, very happy.....so far!

Admonish hive 1 - they haven't polished their hive number today :leaving:

We have loads of gorse in bud but also quite a bit in flower - remember the country saying "when the gorse is in bloom kissing is in fashion" or words to that effect.

Admonish hive 1 - they haven't polished their hive number today :leaving:

We have loads of gorse in bud but also quite a bit in flower - remember the country saying "when the gorse is in bloom kissing is in fashion" or words to that effect.

Doesn't gorse flower all year round?

Chucking it down all day today:cuss:. My national hive was pretty bust though with loads of undertaker duties going on along with drinking from the hive walls and the odd flight. I was worried they had blocked their enterance with bodies until a few bees pushed like little bulldozers.

The TBH was very quiet. I could hear the bees inside but only saw one bee come out.

Latest posts

Back