AFB and saving a queen.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after all this hard winter talk about saving queens/hives with AFB, I found my first of 2016 yesterday, well infected, strong hive. Currently sealed up, colony killed with petrol and awaiting a big fire. I'll try and post some frame pics if I can.

This afternoons job is looking for more land, many many miles away from here.

Hard luck. Been there, it's horrible.

Shows the value of our inspection service.
Keep faith Mazza, youre doing the right things.

It's the drones I would be worry about sniffing a new queen that might be contaminated and then entering other hives.
I would have no second thoughts poring petrol down one that is infected. Heartbreaking I know but for the good of my other bees and as a responsible person to other beekeepers. Sh!t happens just try and make it not very often.

And touch wood I have never had it

Thanks for the support! Its every year now, many many times a year, just it seems to get earlier and earlier. This hive has EFB too, the joy.

I've attached a few pics, maybe of use to some, hopefully none.

I'll try and explain each pic.

DSC_7598.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok this was the first frame I looked at, punctured cell caps and one which is just about to be capped. Looked ok generally but alarm bells started ringing, I then pulled the next frame.

DSC_7599.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Other side of the first frame, more punctured cell caps, brood turned on their cells (EFB).

DSC_7600.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Close up of the second frame, note sunken punctured cell caps, wrong angle for seeing brown goo in the bottom of the cells but you can just about make out the scales on the cell sides. Brown diseased cells. Horrid.

DSC_7601.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hopefully shows the bottom of the cells, I broke away a cell cap 3/4 of the way to the top, right in the middle to show no dead bee behind the cell cap, only brown gloop almost spilling over.

DSC_7604.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last one!

Importantly I didnt stirr the contents of the cell, I dipped a piece of wood to the base of the cell (You can draw a dead bee out in a string if you do) and withdrew it, note how the contents are dark and strings out.

I'm not trying to teach to the experts but if there is something of use to someone im happy.

Sad times, but excellent pictures. Thank you.

Try to remember to try to sterilise your camera.

Excellent pictures.
Bring back sad memories:-(

Thanks for posting the pictures.
So sad to see.....and the queen still laying amidst the carnage, bless her!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back