Advice needed - sadly destroying a colony due to EFB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry to hear about your friends hive, I checked beebase and there seems to be a lot of EFB in Devon

A light EFB infection does not always show up easily,the bees will remove a few infected larvae quite fast....so keep checking the brood, just incase.

Whilst I understand where your coming from, if you have a reasonable/large infection of EFB it maybe advisable to destroy the lot, after all it could (maybe) be only a few sheets of ply! Negligible in the great scheme of things.:-(
(Can't find a smilie to fit) not I suppose, a smilie subject.

may I ask the obvious question that all new beekeeperers will be wanting to ask but are afraid of making themselves look inadequate................. and pick up flack from the tea lady!

How do I scorch a pollyhive?

Easy dig a big hole........ or maybe lots of neat bleach in a cut down 45 Gal 210Lt plastic drum, reputably works as well as immolation....... maybe!

Last edited:
if you have a reasonable/large infection of EFB it maybe advisable to destroy the lot, after all it could (maybe) be only a few sheets of ply! Negligible in the great scheme of things.:-(

If it is a large infection,over a certain percentage of brood infected the bee inspector will destroy the bees, with a light infection there is a choice of treatment or destruction.

Sorry, but i have no idea what plywood has to do with EFB.

Deed done.

Thanks for all advice. Money for nuc and frames fully refunded. Colony laid to rest...

Not what we expected as new beekepers, but have learned a lot. I'll be keeping a very close eye on things from here.

Thanks for all advice. Money for nuc and frames fully refunded. Colony laid to rest...

Not what we expected as new beekepers, but have learned a lot. I'll be keeping a very close eye on things from here.

Such a shame say strong

I collected a nucleus this year from an online bee keeper based near Lizard.

Was the only colony out of my 5 that the inspector recently did a test for EFB even though it was negative. These bee's have come from the orifices of hell as they are the most foul tempered bee's I have handled. :reddevil: Maybe they just dont enjoy being further up North.

A light EFB infection does not always show up easily,the bees will remove a few infected larvae quite fast....so keep checking the brood, just incase.
Whilst I understand where your coming from, if you have a reasonable/large infection of EFB it maybe advisable to destroy the lot, after all it could (maybe) be only a few sheets of ply! Negligible in the great scheme of things.:-(
(Can't find a smilie to fit) not I suppose, a smilie subject.

Not sure you do understand.
I think the point being made was that the OP (not the pal with the infected hive) should be very vigilant in continuing to check their own hive for EFB.
There isn't really such a thing as an "all clear" with EFB - just that those particular larvae tested didn't show the disease.

Where there has been any contact with an infected hive, one should keep checking one's own stock, as it may take some time before the disease is evident to the ordinary beek's eye - let alone the novice.

Last edited:
I collected a nucleus this year from an online bee keeper based near Lizard.

Was the only colony out of my 5 that the inspector recently did a test for EFB even though it was negative. These bee's have come from the orifices of hell as they are the most foul tempered bee's I have handled. :reddevil: Maybe they just dont enjoy being further up North.

If its the person I think, the bees are kept ' Oh Naturel' and are not treated for varroa? There was also I believe an outbreak of AFB on the Lizard year before last and probably why your inspector was keen to look at them. Can't say anything about temperament but I wouldn't be happy to move from The wonderful Duchy to live 'upt north '
:)
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is a large infection,over a certain percentage of brood infected the bee inspector will destroy the bees, with a light infection there is a choice of treatment or destruction.

Sorry, but i have no idea what plywood has to do with EFB.

I was referring to the cost of destroying the hive if it was made of ply and with a heavy infection.:)

If its the person I think, the bees are kept ' Oh Naturel' and are not treated for varroa? There was also I believe an outbreak of AFB on the Lizard year before last and probably why your inspector was keen to look at them. Can't say anything about temperament but I wouldn't be happy to move from The wonderful Duchy to live 'upt north '
:)
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was from cornwa**Hon*y.com. The guy had quite a few negative comments to make about the National Bee Unit and bee-politics as such..... :conehead:

Latest posts

Back