Advice needed re:long holiday

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocko

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I am going away for 8 weeks starting next week but have organised someone to look after the bees. I have 2 over wintered colonies on single brood (no supers) that have done very well and are covering 6/7 frames back to back with brood. Ideally the guy would come every week to inspect them but I wanted to double brood them both. Will this alone nearly guarantee they won't swarm while I'm away? I know he still may need to come to feed etc.

If the weather does warm up, can I feed 1:1 to encourage wax drawing in the new brood box?

Thanks again

Andy

I was told before I took up beekeeping, "if your going to look after bees don't even think about taking a holiday in swarming season if you want a honey crop"

Swarming can happen for many reasons not just lack of space, but lets face it, loosing a swarm or 2 wont be the end of your hives, it will just cut down the amount of honey you get this year and the amount of bees you have.

So I guess it’s a trade off between having a holiday and having a honey crop.

Hi there.

I suppose the most important question is - does the person that is going to take care of them whilst you are away know what he is doing?
If he/she is a bee keeper, i would see no problem at all.
If he/she knows nothing about bees what would you expect him/her to do if a problem arises? Can he/she judge the situation?

Maybe you can also find a bee keeper in you local club that will take an extra peek every 2 weeks...just to be on the safe side.

Greets
Phil

Depends if queens are clipped but the only way to prevent swarming during swarming season is regular weekly inspections and appropriate action when charged cells are found. Doubling up may help but you can't be sure.
If your deputy is bee wise and is willing to go weekly then you should be OK otherwise expect them to swarm and be happy if they don't.
Have a good holiday but have a think if beekeeping is for you if it is a regular annual happenning.
Peter

Thanks All,

I'm not actually going for a leisurely holiday tbh, I'm working for 8 weeks in a poor hospital in Uganda. It's not going to be a regular occurrence at all!

Yes the guy does know what he is doing and has been keeping bees for a number of years and does it for a living. I have to pay him to do it but I'm just trying to find a way of reducing the amount of times he visit = less money! Although I understand whatever I do will need weekly inspections...I'm going to miss them for 8 weeks! :(

Andy

Latest posts

Back