Advice in collecting swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejag

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi I am a bit of a newbie as far as bee keeping is concerned I am now due to collect my first swarm.

The swarm has started to build a nest.

I aim to put them into a commercial nuc which has frames that have not yet been built on

I need advice around 2 questions

A) Should I just brush the bees off the nest and into the nuc and leave the nest (or dump it) or should I put the nest in the box as well? If I do this I probably will not be able to put all the frames in.

B) Where I live and where I ultimately want to keep the hive will be less than a mile from the swarms current location. Do you think it is okto move the nuc plus bees directly to the my house or do I need to find somewhere further away first and then bring them back later? If I should do the latter how long do I need to leave them before bringing them back home?

Thanks for any help and advice

swarms can be moved to a new location within a week or they learn where they are. If they have started to build comb you will be better off cutting the comb to fit into your frames then put string/elastic/fishing line to hold the comb in place. Doing this the swarm will be more likely to stay in your chosen hive as long as they have eggs/brood in that comb. After getting most of the comb with eggs/brood in then you can brush off the other bees into the nuc/hive

Last edited:
if you do a search on u tube there is bound to be someone showing this being done

Latest posts

Back