Advice for a council tennant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would advise not doing anything yet.
From what you have said it is unclear what issue has been raised and by whom.
Could be a neighbour with a legitimate concern (bee sting allergy?) who just didn't have the confidence to mention it face to face. It happens.
Could also be someone at your council who noticed that there is some kind of convenant and they need to investigate properly before deciding whether to grant you permission.
Keep your powder dry - don't start a war before you know the lie of the land.

I know you have already fallen out with your neighbours Dishmop.
1 neighbour out of 59 others that are all with 150 metres and for what? a few spots on her car....If it was that much of a problem she could park her car across the road... Its parked in a parking space... Not her driveway or her parking space.... If I parked my cars there she couldnt do anything about it...

My points are relevant if neighbours are already anti bee. Bee poo all over the washing or worse, a sting to one of their kids and things could turn nasty.

but does a neighbour (who quite probably doesnt know the difference between a wasp and a honey bee,) who did not previously express concern when told about the intention of somebody keeping bees... have justification to complain about something that might happen........

Every time I step outside my house there is the risk that I might get injured... I might also get stung if I go for a walk.. but more likely that I will get run over by said neighbours teenage son who thinks he's a F1 driver.

but does a neighbour (who quite probably doesnt know the difference between a wasp and a honey bee,) who did not previously express concern when told about the intention of somebody keeping bees... have justification to complain about something that might happen........

I agree in principle, but I reckon if I was allergic to bee stings I would be a bit worried if someone intended putting 30,000 of them a few doors down.

Maybe the OP didn't manage to talk to ALL the neighbours. People can have legitimate concerns about bees being sited near them.

Last edited:
I agree many complaints the uneducated may make are silly, but is it worth the hassle?

What incentive is there for the council to let you have them, and is it worth risking your tenancy over?

Bees can be a problem, much as we love em. An out apiary solves much of it. Most farmers are very keen to help for free it seems, so why not try it?

Just to reiterate what I said in my initial response to the OP - I think they have done the correct thing in seeking permission from the Council and by booking onto the beekeeping course. It leaves them perfectly placed to demonstrate that they are responsible and considerate of their neighbours and landlords. If the OP can liaise with other beekeepers who keep bees in a similar domestic situation, they could secure supporting letters to provide to the Council in support of their request for permission to keep honeybees in their garden. This is something that forum members can help with.

Councils Verdict

We have finally received good news from the council. We have been granted permission to keep one hive on the 'understanding that it will be constructed and maintained in accordance with proper standard as may be laid down by the BBA and that the hive is of the 'National' size of 18 1/8inches by 18 1/8 inches.'

They have also reminded us of the Tenancy Agreement regarding the keeping of pets.......mmmm I see a problem here I thought bees would be classed more as livestock rather than pets, but since the tenancy agreement does not allow us to keep livestock I'm not going to dispute this as I feel it would not make much difference with our neighbour how they were classed, if she wants to complain she will do, and if she does, we'll just cross that bridge if and when it happens.

It appears the origional concern was due to health and how they would be effected if they were stung.
I don't know how they answered that question although I would have thought it would have been more suitable directed at a GP rather than a housing authority but what do I know?

Will we be able to getting bees this year? I do hope so. :hurray:

I hope you have another site to move them to if needs arise.

If the neighbour is stung what will you do when they blame you? Some people are veryscared of bees and wasps. I don't keep bees in my back yard for that very reason.

I agree with RAB, inspections are not just merely looking at the bees comings and goings.

Bees are not pets/livestock they are wild.

I hope you have really thought this through and have a plan B apiary site available when it is needed.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but as a beek you must consider the general public.

:iagree: with VEG and greatbritishhoney about an out apiary just in case.
, many farmers are only too pleased to have bees on their land both for the pollination and grants they can claim for having the bees on their land.

Great that the council are permitting you to keep bees at your home, just remember that you have a duty of care to both the bees and the public.
Suggest you join local BKA as this will provide PL ins and lots of know how that you're not going to get from books and the internet, they're not like puppies or kittens!

Aren't you lot discouraging? Anyone would think that garden beekeepers are the scourge of the earth. Most of us exist without neighbours even realising we're there. How many of us suddenly discover we have a closet beekeeper a few doors away and we never knew it?
I'm all for high hedges and discretion.

Sincere good luck with your bees, Ms ajb,
I am luck enough to have a nice out apiary and would not want bees in my garden, as others have said, fought with problems.
I have been sorting out an old empty hive at home and loads of bees have appeared these last few days and the nearest ones to my knowledge are well over half a mile away, never seen a bee here before ! ......................Mrs Springer does not like them...............! !
You may well have permission to keep a hive, but I would carefully weigh up all your options, life is to short for hassle, especially with a hobby, there's enough in other places !!

Take it as a blessing in disguise. Get an out apiary so you can mess about with your bees without danger of anyone getting stung. You were really asking too much from your Housing Officer, ie. that he/she should be a knowledgable and enlightened person able to make informed judgements.

The way I would have done it is to have not mentioned a word about bees to anyone. Join the BBKA so as to get public liability insurance. And then if your landlord were to have raised any concerns, your first line of retort could have been: "We are responsible beekeepers and we have public liability insurance, because we, as the owner of the bees, are the liable party". With bees, the owner of the bees is liable. Doesn't matter on whose land and whether or not you have got permission ... the owner of the bees is liable. (In joining the BBKA you get Third Party public liability insurance).

I really do not think they could claim that in owning bees you have been in breach of your tenancy agreement.
Returning to beekeeping after a 20 year break, I simply installed a hive in my garden, told no one. Result is honeybees visiting my nearby allotment, first time in 20 years. If anyone objects I can honestly say that I started keeping bees in 1976. Neighbours kids are really excited that I have a 'Bee house' in the garden. Ignorance is the biggest enemy here. Previous dwelling of mine was visited by irate neighbour complaining that bees had ' **** all over the washing'. I pointed out that is was Wednesday and washing day was usually Monday. She did her washing on Wednesday every week. I told her that I would that I would tell the bees, gave her a jar of honey and all was resolved.

We have finally received good news from the council. We have been granted permission to keep one hive on the 'understanding that it will be constructed and maintained in accordance with proper standard as may be laid down by the BBA and that the hive is of the 'National' size of 18 1/8inches by 18 1/8 inches.'

Oh very wise your council - them pesky langstroth hives are natural trouble makers, and as for 14x12s!

Garden bees

Aren't you lot discouraging? Anyone would think that garden beekeepers are the scourge of the earth. Most of us exist without neighbours even realising we're there. How many of us suddenly discover we have a closet beekeeper a few doors away and we never knew it?
I'm all for high hedges and discretion.

I beieve that the garden beekeeper has an enriched experience.
You are able to spend so much more time observing from close range and consequently gain a far greater understanding of their behaviour and moods

I think the issue with garden beekeeping is that there is such an influx of new beekeepers at the moment with little experience of dealing with swarms and aggressive bees / requeening etc, that the incidences of conflict with neighbours are bound to increase too. It may just be your neighbours perceiving your bees as dangerous, but perception is very important and conflicts reflect badly on us all as a group/profession/whatever you want to call it.

. . . many farmers are only too pleased to have bees on their land both for the pollination and grants they can claim for having the bees on their land.

To the best of my knowledge there are no grants that farmers can claim for having bees on their land.

If this is not so please tell us where such information is to read.

= = =

I agree keep your powder dry and and sort an out apiary for the inevitable expansion or bolt hole. Talk to people you know about bees and sooner or later the offers will come. In time you may have to politely turn them down because you have more offers than you would know what to do with.

I beieve that the garden beekeeper has an enriched experience.
You are able to spend so much more time observing from close range and consequently gain a far greater understanding of their behaviour and moods

Very true but quite a lot of neighbours don't want to share it. !:)

To the best of my knowledge there are no grants that farmers can claim for having bees on their land.

If this is not so please tell us where such information is to read

There is a question on this years single farm payment form here in Wales asking if there any hives on your property, who owns them and their beebase registration number (only to be given out with the beekeepers permission) It isn't a direct grant. It is part of the new environmental scheme Glastir. There is information about it on the national assembly website.

A couple of points.

14 x 12s are Nationals! (MA)

I believe bees on a farm gives extra points towards the modern equivalent of 'set-aside'. (Hombre)

RAB

Latest posts

Back