Hello from Nottingham

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nottslass

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi guys, I’m very new to bee keeping done a course now getting experience at an apiary every week for the next month.
I’ve got permission to keep them at my allotment, just want a hive, thinking a national one, last week helped collect 2 swarms which was very exciting, I could have one of small swarms if I want, it’s a virgin queen, but getting a bit apprehensive. I’ve got back up if I need help/advice as a lovely couple on my allotment site keep bees else where.
Will enjoy reading all the posts on the forum, no doubt I will be asking a lot of questions.
Angela x

Hello and welcome to the forum. Done a course and getting hands on experience at the apiary and collecting swarms, the next logical step is a colony of your own ;)
Only normal to be a bit apprehensive before taking the final step, which sounds ideal with a couple to mentor you.
Do you have a hive and frames ready to go?

Welcome from me too. Have a good look round the forum. There plenty of good stuff.
Enjoy your bees on your allotment but a word of caution. Don’t waste any time finding an alternative site if you need to move your bees quickly. I’m not suggesting you will have problems but people do get stung and you need that safety net so best prepared in advance.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Done a course and getting hands on experience at the apiary and collecting swarms, the next logical step is a colony of your own ;)
Only normal to be a bit apprehensive before taking the final step, which sounds ideal with a couple to mentor you.
Do you have a hive and frames ready to go?
No equipment as yet, thinking of ordering bees on a budget from thornes next week x

Welcome from me too. Have a good look round the forum. There plenty of good stuff.
Enjoy your bees on your allotment but a word of caution. Don’t waste any time finding an alternative site if you need to move your bees quickly. I’m not suggesting you will have problems but people do get stung and you need that safety net so best prepared in advance.
I’ve got some of that high metal fencing that go round building sites, going to put some scaff netting on it, so they fly up and high x

Yes that’s a good start and sensible. Most people keep bees happily on their allotments but colonies do get defensive and people do get stung and beekeepers do get told to move their bees. I’m just suggesting you have a back up plan.

Yes that’s a good start and sensible. Most people keep bees happily on their allotments but colonies do get defensive and people do get stung and beekeepers do get told to move their bees. I’m just suggesting you have a back up plan.
Thanks it would be a shame if I had to move them, but will take your advice on board x

I’ve got some of that high metal fencing that go round building sites, going to put some scaff netting on it, so they fly up and high x

I used scaffolding mesh (cheap from Amazon) to surround my hives 2m from the entrances. It's worked a charm and so far my bees haven't caused a problem for anyone. Their main flight path is up and away. Of course they do take time to exploit anything of value to them in my garden :)

Hi guys, I’m very new to bee keeping done a course now getting experience at an apiary every week for the next month.
Hi Angela, how's your beekeeping?

Hi thanks for asking.
I’ve got my bees had them a week, the keepers who had them didn’t want to part with them as they said it was a lovely calm colony, checked on them yesterday they are eating the syrup and drawing the new frames I put in as they were in a nuc, also lots of eggs, will check them again Monday may put the other 2 frames in then go to checking on weekly, I’ve got a national hive, so far so good x

Hi thanks for asking.
I’ve got my bees had them a week, the keepers who had them didn’t want to part with them as they said it was a lovely calm colony, checked on them yesterday they are eating the syrup and drawing the new frames I put in as they were in a nuc, also lots of eggs, will check them again Monday may put the other 2 frames in then go to checking on weekly, I’ve got a national hive, so far so good x
Well done ... all good fun from now on !

Fantastic. Enjoy your beekeeping. Still sting-free?:)

Latest posts

Back