Adding a Super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimthebee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Afternoon folks, Just finished my third inspection and am delighted to say I have 8 and half frames of brood/ of which 6 and half is good brood the other 2 are bees with the foundation being drawn out nicely. I am going away of Tuesday for a week so next inspection will be Monday week.

should I add a super on now just in case the weather picks up whilst I am away. Or is is still a bit early.
I don't really want to leave it to chance ie the weather ?
I am using a 14x12 brood box with 12 frames in.
and live in North Kent.

regards Jim

Personally I would say yes stick a super on, if the colony is strong (has plenty of bees) it gives them space and work to do. In my area there is a flow starting or started now and my strongest hives have half filled the first super so I added a second.

Personally I would say yes stick a super on, if the colony is strong (has plenty of bees) it gives them space and work to do. In my area there is a flow starting or started now and my strongest hives have half filled the first super so I added a second.

:iagree:

cheers gents, great advice thank you both. The bees will be starting on foundation not drawn comb, should i feed them as well or let them crack on without it ?

should i feed them as well

Do you really want sugar syrup in your honey? No.

Are they short of stores? No.

What useful purpose would feeding provide? Nothing.

You may be able to work this out for yourself?

RAB

fair enough, just wasn't sure if they would be able to work hard enough to draw out the foundation as well as build up honey ?

Back