Adding a 2nd brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’ve a hive that’s could do with extra room, it’s got 2 supers on, so thinking of adding a 2nd BB, do I need to take the supers off and feed then to draw the new frames?

I’ve a hive that’s could do with extra room, it’s got 2 supers on, so thinking of adding a 2nd BB, do I need to take the supers off and feed then to draw the new frames?
No, if they're making income they will use that to draw it.

I always add a new one under the original. That way they will not fill it with honey and will only use it if they need it. I never inspect the bottom brood box either!

I always add a new one under the original. That way they will not fill it with honey and will only use it if they need it. I never inspect the bottom brood box either!
I’ll try that thsnks

It depends, how much your colony has bees.

If they have bees enough, they may occupy perhaps 1/2 out of box undet the brood box.
But if you put empty brood box over the first BB, there will be a huge gab between the supers and the brood.

I have just now a double brood colony, and no supers.

I put a week ago second brood box under the first. Bees occupied lower box partly but the queen was not able to lsy there

I moved the lower box topmost, but bees could not occopy better the box.

It is clear that hive must get first more new bees before it is able to use the space.

I was wrong when I tried to "encourage" the bees to occupy the second box.

I can see from the color of brood frame, that the hive gets soon more troops. I gove from the neighbour hive a capped brood frame but it takes its time that it helps.

always add a new one under the original. That way they will not fill it with honey and will only use it if they need it
or often, especially if the original brood box is well filled - they will ignore it and swarm rather than work down and draw it out.

or often, especially if the original brood box is well filled - they will ignore it and swarm rather than work down and draw it out.

Such hive had got allready swarming into their heads. When the colony does not draw foundations, in next inspection you will see there queen cells.

I did that to two hives recently but didn’t want to add another 11 frames and so added another 5 and so they are 8 frames over 8. Made some 50mm ‘dummy boards‘ with insulation and reassembled the hive and so the capped brood was underneath the eggs and larvae). Put some of the foundation between brood frames but as theres loads of bees, it’s warm and there was a flow on, it got drawn and layed up super quick.

Would it be better to put the 2nd brood box on top but put a couple of brood frames in the middle, foundation in the rest and replace the missing brood frames in the lower box with foundation on the outside?

Would it be better to put the 2nd brood box on top
It's an option that converts nest shape from a pumpkin to a rugby ball and achieves the aim to expand the nest in both directions.

First time I put another box of foundation on top they filled it with honey; now I transfer three or four frames of open brood upstairs, close up combs below and add foundation or comb either side in both boxes. Add a super to make sure nectar goes above the broods. This works with multiple brood boxes; thirds can be put in-between the first two.

Not tried putting a new box underneath, but I imagine it would be drawn and filled more slowly as temps are lower, and comb may not be made quickly enough to avert congestion; a solid floor may speed up work.

I’ll try that thsnks
Bear in mind if you’re using foundation they might not draw it if underneath. Just read others have said that too!

I also minimise inspections in the bottom box of a double brood but cells can be made there, so I tip the top box, give a puff of smoke to clear the bees then shine a small torch to see if there are any loaded queen cups on the edges of the top box. If lots of queen cups (sometimes not loaded) I’ll check the odd frame below but generally find they will be in the top & between the boxes on the edges

Latest posts

Back