Absent Queen & Queen Cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Took delivery of Nuc last week – vigorous colony. Unfortunately Queen has gone – no eggs today – but many Queen cells. If I can’t source a laying Queen do I knock down all but two good sized Cells? If one does emerge will the Virgin Q take out a swarm or kill the yet to emerge competitor? What is the practice in this scenario – advice most welcome. P

Took delivery of Nuc last week – vigorous colony. Unfortunately Queen has gone – no eggs today – but many Queen cells. If I can’t source a laying Queen do I knock down all but two good sized Cells? If one does emerge will the Virgin Q take out a swarm or kill the yet to emerge competitor? What is the practice in this scenario – advice most welcome. P

Leave 2 open qcells if there are any. When the virgin queen hatches, given its a nuc, she should kill the other queen still in the cell.

Thanks for advice - No Cells on purchase - Marked Queen in situ - week later no Queen some few eggs and we knocked QC's down - four days later no eggs, laying area awash with nectar and multitude of QC's open and loaded. This is a Nuc (strong). Have decided because of time factor (Finnman's post elsewhere) to merge with a weak Q right Nuc. I will stick a couple of Q cells and nurse bees in a mating Box for security should all go wrong. Fingers crossed - Thanks again P

Latest posts

Back