about to swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alice-edmund

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have one hive which was pretty near full of bees last week; on Wednesday I collected my first swarm from house next door (and got them into my spare hive); looked in original hive yesterday to find that my collected swarm had definitely NOT come from my first hive AND that there were quite a few sealed queen cells and I think a largish cluster of drone cells. (I only started last year).
So is number one hive about to swarm? and any advice? I have no spare hive of any form at the moment.

As per the last post, a swarm will generally leave as soon as possible after the sealing over of the oldest queen cell. But weather can hold them back. If you can't find the queen and can't find any eggs, she might still be in the hive, but equally she might have swarmed. Often the give-away is reduced numbers of bees ... or a swarm hanging from a shrub in the garden next door.

I suggest that you deal with your colony as a 'swarmed stock' if you are not sure whether or not it has actually swarmed. This means destroying queencells, unless that is you want to collect another half dozen swarms from the shrubs in the garden next door. And you now have your chance to make increase if you want to.

I don't think the original hive has swarmed just because there are still an immense number of bees in there - but no I did not see the queen (have not seen her since last June!). The collected swarm look physically different too; more yellowy stripes. It was great fun collecting it.

1) Get another hive asap.
2) yes, they are about to swarm if they have not already.
3)Find the queen.
4) get a bee buddy.

You cannot do anything about this colony unless you find the queen.

When you find her you need to put her- on that frame into 2nd hive. Ensure NO queen cells on her frame. Transfer another 4 frames of bees (No queen cells!) across to her hive.

First hive , keep one really good, well indented (like the old thimbles) queen cell. Dump the rest. Some bee keepers like to keep 2 cells viable (insurance). Dump all other cells. Shaking the frames gently will ensure disclosure... but DONT shake the frame with good queen cell on or you may damage the larvae.

Put the queen cell hive onto new site just nearby (no 3 mile rule here), Transfer hive 2 back to original site so all the mature flyers return here to make them think they have swarmed. Don't look in Q cell hive for 3 weeks to allow undisturbed hatching, mating, initial laying.

:iagree:

Find that queen and AS
You may be lucky. Four association hives had sealed cells in yesterday and we found the queens in three of them.

I don't think the original hive has swarmed just because there are still an immense number of bees in there

It doesn't work like that. The number of bees always looks like that unless you have lost a few casts as well

Latest posts

Back