abandoned nuke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon-ted

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I set up my first nuke with queen cell (not that close to hatching on 9th May. Left them in a cool dark stable for 4 days and then put them out in a far corner of my paddock.I opened the door the next day.

To my delight the bees were coming and going and after a week late I opened up and saw tyhat the queen had hatched.

Six days went by and i opened them up again and saw the queen but no eggs.

Today i walked past and noticed no activity. I opened up and found a totally empty nuke.

Was the queen killed on a mating flight?

Has any one any othet thoughts as to what may have gone wrong?

Thanks

Mark

You have to tell us what was on the rest of the frames.
Stores/brood/empty?
Sixteen days from setting up to Marie Celeste there should still be brood left.

If I read your post correctly you closed them up for the first 4 days in a cool dark stable.
For heaven's sake why?

Eric

Because that is what Ron Brown recommends in his pamphlet 'Honey Moon flats for Honeybee Queens'.

Do you think he is wrong? I would be intersted to know why and what you think I should have done.

I have always thought of him as a very wise man as well as a particularly fine writer.

Mark

Sorry I should have made it clear that this was a mininuke so it had fondant and pollen supplement and three mini frames with strips of undrawn foundation.

No brood of any sort (apart form the queen cell obviously).

What I am perplexed is that they seem to be getting on well. They had started to draw out the foundation and were bringing some pollen in.

Mark

I would suspect overcrowding, especially if Apidea rather than the Kieler mini nuc. With the latter 300mls of bees (mug full) about right. Any more than that and I believe they are more likely to abscond.

What sort of volume of bees did you use?

Do you think he is wrong?

Don't know whether yes or no.

You made a split not a nuc. A nuc or a split would likely be into a nuc hive, but they are different. So it may be a case of differentiating what he actually wrote and what you actually read (and then wrote). It may have lead to 'differing opinions' of what was actually meant. A bit like chinese whispers.

Of course at the other end of the hive size spectrum there are some on here that would have put that tiny split into a full hive with just foundation frames around it (look up mandy's posts).

Virgins will more likely abscond, than laying queens (with brood).

I can only guess but..(and there is a huge difference between a nuc and a mini nuc)

I surmise your virgin got lost on a mating flight and your bees drifted to better homes.

Minis are very fast to react to adverse circumstances.

PH

Thank ypu for your replies I have amde up two new mininukes to replace it. i will not be opening them up so often this time around.

Mark

Latest posts

Back