Ab initio Beekeeper.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi I have returned to beekeeping after 40 years and enjoying learning this wonderful hobby.They are the most wonderful creatures. :welcome::welcome::welcome:

Welcome back ... Know the feeling - just starting out with my bees - can't stay away from them, just absolutely fascinating watching them !! Good luck, my Dad kept bees when I was a kid and I couldn't believe how much had changed in 45 years - you'll see a difference !

:welcome: Vulcan
Hope you will share your experience and advice :)

Welcome.

I am sure you can teach us all a few things...we're just whippersnappers u'know...

Hi I have returned to beekeeping after 40 years and enjoying learning this wonderful hobby.They are the most wonderful creatures. :welcome::welcome::welcome:

:welcome:

The main change you'll notice is likely to be that Varroa is nowadays the central concern. And that that concern needs to be there year-round.
Do register on Beebase (that wasn't there 40 years ago!) and download the standard 'current practice' guidelines. "Managing Varroa" is particularly recommended.

Welcome.

I'm guessing you have some kind of affinity/connection with another kind of winged beastie..?

vulcan260507_468x308.jpg

Oh yes, varroa seems to have changed methods. My first taste of beekeeping was in the early 1970,s under the guidance of my Physics master (Mr Ron Brown OBE). Coming back to the hobby rekindles some lovely memories.

Some happy years working on these creatures! :)

Mesh floors, plastic gloves, varroa treatment, foul brood times two, 14 x 12 frames, expensive bees, fewer swarms, smoke in a can, thymol, different colours for different years when marking queens, hives being burnt with foul brood, tons of OSR being grown, selling your bees for a fortune, selling your honey for a fortune, just a few of the things that have changed in 40 years..... Staying the same, enjoyment, frustration and lack of money!
Welcome back
E

Latest posts

Back