A swarm has just adopted us and we need a mentor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob and Jane

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi
Jane and I have recently began to `live the good life´ on a 3000 square metre piece of land in mid Portugal. Luck would have it that a short time ago (yesterday) I noticed that a swarm of bees have taken up residence in a small (25 litre) wooden wine barrel in a small out house. We know nothing about keeping bees but realise our good fortune.

We have decided that we should try to keep the bees so that they will assist in the pollination of our crops and benefit from their production of honey.

Firstly we need to relocate them to a proper hive in another part of the land.

We realise that we will need to care for them in the future and hopefully learn how to keep them properly.

Is there a patient person on this forum that is prepared to guide us through this endeavour?

Thanks

Bob and Jane

Hello

I live in Manchester is this a live in mentor you need i would love to get out of here not worthy
get reading there is a lot of good books if the bees have set up in their new temp home they must like it till you can get this together dont rush into it they will be happy there till you can find someone closer wish you both well keep us update Don't try and name them
Regards ALAN :seeya:bee-smillie

Whilst in swarm mode you may be able to relocate them to another part of your land .
But should you leave it a little while,Remember the 3ft 3mile rule if you wish to move them.

Remember the 3ft 3mile rule if you wish to move them.

I suspect that at this stage of their bee keeping they don't have a clue what the 3 feet 3 mile rule is. I am sure somebody will correct me if my interpretation is wrong but here goes.

An established hive can only be moved under 3 feet at a time or 3 miles as if they are moved any other distance there is a strong chance they will return to the exact spot the hive was before the move.

This is a general rule of thumb and others will probably suggest ways to try to avoid this problem.

A little bit to soon, find some locals who can assist you some time this week, they will have local knowledge, where to buy a hive and supplies, that is if you want to produce honey or you can leave them where they are if you just want pollinators.
found this beekeeping supplies on the net I don't know if it is near you

Head office :
A LAVOURA DO CONCELHO DE PACOS DE FERREIRA, C.R.L.
Avenida Silvia Cardoso, 177 4590-507 Pacos De Ferreira
PORTUGAL

Tel: +351 255 96 27 33
Fax: +351 255 96 59 15;

Very commendable that you want to adopt them, but I'd suggest that you quickly read books (various alternatives but Ted Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey is very comprehensive for a beginner) and find a local beekeeper.

This forum is very good for answering specific questions, but you really need some more in-depth knowledge to get yourselves going.

Tabua

Hi,
Stayed in Tabua a couple of years ago and the owner there had a hive of bees which looked to be doing well. If you'd like me to dig out an email contact then just let me know please.

Cheers

Nick

You need to buy a hive put in on top of the wooden wine barrel with a hole in whait for queen to move up then put QE in and whate 3 weeks

QE is short for queen excluder, it is a grid that lets honey bee workers through but stops the queen as she is slightly bigger

QE = queen excluder

But :iagree: with everyone else who says you need a friendly, very local, experienced advisor. You need to learn too much to fast to do it here

There is nothing beekeepers love more than giving advice to beginners

:iagree: by the time you have read a book the bees would have established a strong colony in the barrel and you will have a harder job getting them into the hive, they have probably started building comb already. An experienced beekeeper will move them for you quite easily at the moment

QE = Queen Excluder A perforated sheet or collection of wires with gaps calculated to let workers through but not Queens.

Latest posts

Back