Hi all, quick introduction, with the help of a local keeper we have 'adopted' a swarm from our garden, now having resided in a nuc. for 7 days. 😊

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvinb

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
We believe our swarm originated from a huge inaccessible hive above our bay window.
We were going to start keeping bees in the future, this has brought the plan forward, given it seemed local BKA had no interest in the swarm despite it being large and 300mm off the floor, but also provided no guidance as to best method to capture them, leave them alone, you cant keep bees if you haven't been on our course was the gist of the response.
However new poly hive arrived yesterday, will perhaps look to transfer them late on today or tomorrow, although advice on best time of day will be appreciated just now.
Despite 4 years of research we still have many other questions.

BKA swarm lines can be worse than useless, sadly. They are bombarded by calls from people with wasps or bumblebees, but still, that's no excuse for turning down a swarm of actual honey bees.

You can transfer them at any time of day, but before going further, can we assume that the nuc is in the same position as the hive is going to be, with the entrance facing the same way?

Last edited:
We believe our swarm originated from a huge inaccessible hive above our bay window.
We were going to start keeping bees in the future, this has brought the plan forward, given it seemed local BKA had no interest in the swarm despite it being large and 300mm off the floor, but also provided no guidance as to best method to capture them, leave them alone, you cant keep bees if you haven't been on our course was the gist of the response.
However new poly hive arrived yesterday, will perhaps look to transfer them late on today or tomorrow, although advice on best time of day will be appreciated just now.
Despite 4 years of research we still have many other questions.
Depending on where you are its quite possible someone on here will be willing to call round and give you some practical help. 🙂
Certainly it's been a demonstration of how poor the response from some associations can be. I'm pretty sure the associations in my neck of the woods will have reacted in a positive manner.
What make/type of polyhive have you bought, have you got frames and foundation assembled ready for the swap? Are the bees sitting close to where you intend to keep them long term? I'm going to assume if they are from the colony above your window there shouldn't be a problem with human/bee interaction but if you walk through the flight path this may not be a valid assumption 🤔

Congratulations on catching your first swarm!
Arriving here is always a good start. You can find an answer to pretty much anything, and everyone (or at least most of us ;) ) is always happy to offer advice.
You said you'd done a lot of research. In the absence of a hands-on course, it's worth making sure you've digested at least a couple of the beginner's beekeeping books (i.e. Haynes Bee Manual, The BBKA Guide to Beekeeping etc.) and watched a few videos on YouTube (avoiding the less relevant non-UK channels: The Norfolk Honey Company's beginner's series is a good start).

Making the decision on where to site your hive is the first of many decisions, and your life will be much easier in future if you choose wisely.

Thank you for the welcome and all the positive advice so far.
The new hive is an Abelo poly one, also bought stand, feeder, and frames, with fill / starter material. The nuc is at bottom of our garden, entrance gets morning sun, all year round, and is in sunlight most of day and becomes shaded later, but is in front of a wall (that retains heat overnight).
The new hive will be directly adjacent to nuc location, same orientation.
Bees are currently very industrious, flights in and out, i am able to visit it without being harassed, so i think i am their friend.

We are located North Lincolnshire.
DN17

We are located North Lincolnshire.
DN17
Scunthorpe area but it's a big patch.🤔 I'm a bit surprised you were fobbed off by a local bka. Your choice of Abelo is good in my opinion although my personal preference is for the early model version. Sadly the Humber Estuary lies between us so I have little knowledge of available contacts near you. Google might reveal a couple of nearby bkas with friendly members who can help. Selby or Barkston Ash are probably outside your travelling range.
Being in direct sun all day during the height of summer can cause problems for hives despite the insulation. I have had polynucs which suffered slumping of foundation from overheating so now I provide some shade from late morning to late afternoon. A bit of early sunshine is handy for getting them out of bed and off to work but too much of a good thing causes problems.
Transferring colonies from a nuc to a hive has been covered in a couple of threads lately. You should be able to pick these up via the forum search function along with what to do to cope with the gap caused by frames surrounded by bare foundation. (A dummy frame or two can be very useful)

Scunthorpe area but it's a big patch.🤔 I'm a bit surprised you were fobbed off by a local bka. Your choice of Abelo is good in my opinion although my personal preference is for the early model version. Sadly the Humber Estuary lies between us so I have little knowledge of available contacts near you. Google might reveal a couple of nearby bkas with friendly members who can help. Selby or Barkston Ash are probably outside your travelling range.
Being in direct sun all day during the height of summer can cause problems for hives despite the insulation. I have had polynucs which suffered slumping of foundation from overheating so now I provide some shade from late morning to late afternoon. A bit of early sunshine is handy for getting them out of bed and off to work but too much of a good thing causes problems.
Transferring colonies from a nuc to a hive has been covered in a couple of threads lately. You should be able to pick these up via the forum search function along with what to do to cope with the gap caused by frames surrounded by bare foundation. (A dummy frame or two can be very useful)
After 1pm the sun moves round an the hive will be shaded by an adjacent building. Si not direct sunlight. If i can i will post a photograph. 😊

Latest posts

Back