a proper bee-keeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Duff

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none
Another daft and pointless one from me-
We all started out by keeping bees in a box, but at what point or after which bit of successful beekeeping did you think of yourself a bee-keeper.

Me- I will be a bee-keeper when I get stung:D

When I got them through a year with low varroa count and as a healthy colony that were nice to handle... ;)

We all started out by keeping bees in a box, but at what point or after which bit of successful beekeeping did you think of yourself a bee-keeper.

well i have a very large 14x12 italain bees that will convince you that you are an excelelenet beekeeper every insection...i sure they have longer stings :D

Shirley, it has to be your first Honey crop ...you think yourself a beekeeper but then next year you find you are not

Me ,well think it was my first swarm collection on my own

well i have a very large 14x12 italain bees that will convince you that you are an excelelenet beekeeper every insection...i sure they have longer stings :D

The secret is to take an assistant with you, play bee chicken, the assistant chickens first, gets stung and legs it, the bonkers bees follow the assistant allowing you to carry on sting free, not that I would condone this sort of thing:reddevil:

I was told when I started you need to keep bees for 5 years before you are "competent"

A proper beekeeper always has a clean tool

A proper beekeeper will try hard to ensure they can anticipate the needs of their stocks. They will ensure they don't starve, will aim to keep them disease free, will try to keep swarming to a minimum, will take responsibility for their colonies when they prove troublesome and not just leave them to swarm out .... keep learning, particularly with regard to bee diseases, read books, attend improvement classes, bee groups whatever - and aim to be a better beekeeper for the sake of their bees .... Could take a lifetime, but
I do believe the more effort you put into beekeeping the more you get from it.

Hope this doesn't sound too harsh - it is the ideal for me.

I'll let you know...

when i breed a queen that doesnt swarm until her 3rd year on a regular basis:)

Last edited:
When I feel capable of posting advice on beekeeping matters rather than questions, and when that advice doesn't result in scorn being heaped upon me by other, more experienced, contributors (with certain exceptions).

When I feel capable of posting advice on beekeeping matters rather than questions, and when that advice doesn't result in scorn being heaped upon me by other, more experienced, contributors (with certain exceptions).

:iagree::iagree:

What sort of answer's that! Think about it!

:biggrinjester: :D

Ignore the scorn. They're just jealous of your knowledge and your undoubted great intelligence (and no doubt good looks) and the scorners are miserable old gits.

Well that's my thinking :D

When I repeatedly drag my butt off the sofa to inspect very grumpy bees in the pouring rain, as I know they are likely to swarm soon. This despite getting stick from wife about not prioritising the DIY/house cleaning.

When all my colony’s are still alive after a year when no one has sighted the burning ball of gas in the sky and I have needed a boat with RNLI membership rather than a car with AA membership.

When I still drag my butt off the sofa even though I realise that once again despite huge sums of money and effort and learning I will again not see any honey.

When my queens have repeatedly moved to swarm and so needing an A/S (with more kit brought and or made) even though they have a successfully mated 2012 queen from earlier attempts to swarm.

When I open a capped drone cell and find 10 (I kid you not ten) varroa mites in the one cell and find a wax moth lava (and rip its head off) on the same frame.

Then I look back from the gate and realise that the bees are now better off because of what I have done that day...........then I will be a beekeeper

What sort of answer's that! Think about it!

:biggrinjester: :D

It's an answer that acknowledges my inexperience. Given that a question asked of 4 beekeepers will attract five contradictory anwers, when the time comes when I do feel capable of giving advice, I will not consider myself wrong unless the majority tell me I am.

At present I will ask but not give advice, save in areas that I have a particular knowledge of.

Latest posts

Back