a proper bee-keeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scuttlefish you have made me feel great. I KNOW I saved my bees from starvation in the nick of time this "summer". About the only time I KNEW they were better off because of what I had done - rather than just hoping. But at least I feel like a beekeeper - still working on the "proper" bit though.

Scuttlefish you have made me feel great. I KNOW I saved my bees from starvation in the nick of time this "summer". About the only time I KNEW they were better off because of what I had done - rather than just hoping. But at least I feel like a beekeeper - still working on the "proper" bit though.

'twas from flemage originally, but glad to brighten up your day :)

Me ,well think it was my first swarm collection on my own

Me too - about 4 weeks ago after about 4 years of beeking. Not long arrived home at Friday lunchtime, with nothing on my mind for the afternoon but sarnies, tea, and getting my car MoT'd. Hairy appendage still at work. Ring on the doorbell: guy from the caravan park down the road. They also own the house with the VERY bee-friendly garden between their site and the end of our plot where our girls live. Large swarm in one of the old Christmas trees that are planted in the garden. Within 20 minutes I'd got them collected in a skep, re-hived them that evening, and they're now doing really well. Smug mode engaged :D!

You will never know it all and to become an experienced beekeeper takes a lifetime of work and dedication, consider beekeeping as a craft and you have beginners and you have masters, after 4 years of beekeeping I consider myself standing on the first run of the ladder.

In another 5 years time with 10 years behind me and looking forward to the next as experience is everything and can only be gained with time.

When I have more than 2 hives ;)

I would suggest when your beekeeping management becomes proactive rather than reactive eg you prevent swarming rather than having to control swarming, you super ahead of requirements etc.

Do you want to be a beekeeper or do you want the bees to keep you ?

I would suggest when your beekeeping management becomes proactive rather than reactive eg you prevent swarming rather than having to control swarming, you super ahead of requirements etc.

Do you want to be a beekeeper or do you want the bees to keep you ?

Gets my vote.not worthy
Then I will be a proper beekeeper next year:biggrinjester:

When people stop telling me this:

What sort of answer's that! Think about it!

or mock me for keeping 2 colonies of bees or think that I think I'm saving the planet by keeping bees:rolleyes:

:biggrinjester: :D

seriously though, I've never been a subscriber of the "proper" way of doing anything which is maybe why bee keeping is so fascinating to me - all the different beeks in the world do everything differently and the bees are still about

Last edited:
Meidel

That comment made by me was in jest - lampooning the comments you mentiioned in your first post and underlining the problem.
(hope you didn't think i was having a poke as I agree with you :))
Emyr

I did, i mean i didn't - which was why I edited out your name, cheers though - it made me grin - reminded me all over again of the times I felt ticked off when reading them from the sources who meant what they said, took the high road myself:rolleyes: and didn't engage.

Maybe rather cowardly, now feel it's safe to rant
:D

Last edited:
In another 5 years time with 10 years behind me and looking forward to the next as experience is everything and can only be gained with time.

Well, I'm still waiting with more than ten years behind me........perhaps you need to treble your estimate?
Cazza

I came a step closer yesterday when I found and marked my 2012 queen single handed :)

(OK so it's nothing to the old hands, but it made me feel good :sifone:)

I came a step closer yesterday when I found and marked my 2012 queen single handed :)

(OK so it's nothing to the old hands, but it made me feel good :sifone:)

:cool: going to try and do mine tomorrow, did you use a cage or fingers??

When I know what to do whatever I see and I've got the werewithall (equipment to hand, skill etc) whatever I need to do.
i.e I dont have to go home and read,call someone or think about it.

Well, I'm still waiting with more than ten years behind me........perhaps you need to treble your estimate?
Cazza

Perhaps you are right Cazza as a good beekeeper is one that is still happy to learn more :biggrinjester:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back