A lot of dead bees outside the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlystrung

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi,

I haven't opened either of my 2 hives to have a look inside as temps haven't got much above 12C at best in my back garden. Today there were a lot flying out of the hive - I noticed that outside one there are several hundred dead bees.... I think they may have been put out recently as I have a look around every few days and can't recall seeing this many before. I can't see any other obvious signs of problems with the bees flying in / out. As I observed today I saw some bees dragging others out and taking them right down to the ground. They look like one another i.e. from the hive as opposed to bees from my other hive which are a very different colour / pattern.

Is this just spring cleaning, clearly out the dead bees or possibly a sign of a more significant issue?

thanks for your thoughts, Neil

that was a question I had myself.... not clear to me that this is the case... How do I determine this?

At this time of year I might consider closing the hive up now....take a torch.
See if any bees appear at the entrance tomorrow?

As I observed today I saw some bees dragging others out and taking them right down to the ground.

when you say dragging others out - dead or alive? if they're drgging dead uns out I'd say they're just having a good clearout as they've had a few days warm weather to work in. Have a look first thing in the morning see if bees are leaving unladen and more importantly whether bees are arriving laden and with pollen. Robbers won't be bringing anything to the hive but rather, taking stores out of it.

I've seen them dragging out live bees.... but the bees that are being taken out don't look very active... they don't have much fight in them.... so wondered if they are the winter bees at the end of their life being disposed of.....

I've taken the previous advice and taped up the entrance now. I'll see when bees start flying out of the other hive and then look to see if "robbing bees" are arriving at the problem hive. If that's the case I'll know what the issue is (but not the solution), otherwise I think it's cleaning!

One year on to my beekeeping and it's a constant learning process...!

I'm quite interested in setting up a camera to monitor the hive .... it would have been helpful to investigate this scenario.....

Last edited:
I have the same under one of my double poly nucs they were so busy yesterday they were falling to the ground trying to get in the entrance getting cold and dieing I have now fixed a flight board underneath.

Newtobees is thinking. Unless we know the actual situation details, Newtobees could well have the answer.

For starters, is there a mouse guard on the hive? Next might be 'is it clear? Next might be how many entry holes? Next might be 'Is it blocked with dead bees?

? Too cold ... Shirley most Mediterranean type bees will still bee in a tight Winter cluster using up their stores???

Yeghes da

I had just that, robbing, earlier this year. Been away a couple of days and found one colony being silently robbed, and another "foraging" suspiciously early in the day and continuing 'til late in evening. Banged to rights!

I had just that, robbing, earlier this year. Been away a couple of days and found one colony being silently robbed, and another "foraging" suspiciously early in the day and continuing 'til late in evening. Banged to rights!

These are good signs to look out for and something else to check (as it we didn't worry enough !) ...

If you have a weak hive then you may find that a stronger hive will realise this (Italians are notorius for robbing other hives) and this will happen more at this time of the year if the stronger hive is running low on stores. Sugar feeding a weaker colony can also attract a stronger one.

However, if it does transpire to be robbing then something has to be done about it sooner rather than later.

Ive got exactly the same problem except some of my dead ones are carrying pollen. At first I thought maybe the field has been sprayed, however when I checked another hive the dead pollen carriers had a different colour pollen so different field/source

Dead workers

Ive got exactly the same problem except some of my dead ones are carrying pollen. At first I thought maybe the field has been sprayed, however when I checked another hive the dead pollen carriers had a different colour pollen so different field/source

You can say that again :)

sounds like your foragers are getting tired/chilled before making it back to the warmth of the hive - happens easily at this time of year - noticed a few laden with pollen almost flaked out on a hive roof yesterday - hopefully the heat there will help then get second wind and finish the journey.

People have to realise that although it says 'spring' on the label it's still bleeding cold out there once you get out of direct sunlight, in fact Saturday has been the only morning in the last month where there hasn't been a hard frost with water being frozen solid albeit not that thick a coating. ground frost here this morning again.

Always have dead bees outside hives in spring , summer and autumn. Not noticeable in summer /autumn as the sparrows learn about them, and flit down to eat them. They have to relearn every year so don't start in spring for a while.

Latest posts

Back