A letter in the week end Telegraph

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEEBEGIN

New Bee
Reaction score
Headbourne Worthy near Winchester,Hampshire.uk
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 plus TOP BAR 1
Hi
Soem one who has the Telegraph said to me had I heard about a letter some one had written into the paper Saturday or Sunday not sure,saying that the weed called rag wort makes honey toxic.
Has any one else read this or heard of it and if so then in the earea that I live there is a lot of this weed.Does this mean that all of the hives in the aeria will produce this toxic honey??
RNG
what comes around comes around to all.:willy_nilly:

There have been a couple of threads on ragwort which it might help you to see. You could do a search on it as I'm not sure of more details.

Hi
Soem one who has the Telegraph said to me had I heard about a letter some one had written into the paper Saturday or Sunday not sure,saying that the weed called rag wort makes honey toxic.
Has any one else read this or heard of it and if so then in the earea that I live there is a lot of this weed.Does this mean that all of the hives in the aeria will produce this toxic honey??
RNG
Ok thank you will try a search.
RNG

Hi
RNG

The letter was ferom Terrence Collins of the food standards agency:
"The Committe on Toxicity, a group of experts which advises the Food Standards Agency, has concluded that honey produced in areas with a high concentration of ragwort is of minimal risk to human health (Country diary, Weekend, August 13), This is because the natural toxins found in the ragwort are transferred to honey at such low levels."
So no, your honey won't be toxic :)

The letter was ferom Terrence Collins of the food standards agency:
"The Committe on Toxicity, a group of experts which advises the Food Standards Agency, has concluded that honey produced in areas with a high concentration of ragwort is of minimal risk to human health (Country diary, Weekend, August 13), This is because the natural toxins found in the ragwort are transferred to honey at such low levels."
So no, your honey won't be toxic :)

but it smells bloody awful when newly extracted , so i doubt you could sell it when fresh anyway

but it smells bloody awful when newly extracted , so i doubt you could sell it when fresh anyway

But would I be right in thinking that, like some other smelly honeys, it's fine once set?

All spuds grown in Yorkshire are contaminated with lead
All spuds grown in Cornwall are contaminated with tin or arsenic
All fish from the sea are contaminated with mercury
Any more totally unreasoned statements that have been reported with with little or no scientific background as to the WHO levels
Maybe Ragwort has a toxic effect on our health...... I would imagine that many other plants have too!

How much honey would you need to eat?

Last edited:
but i bet you enjoy your welsh lamb and your spuds on a sunday dinner all toxic well it will not stop me i love food, i live to eat not eat to live, from the glowing welsh who likes lamb.

As I down my third pink gin of the day, it occurs to me that someone once told me (I am sure they were mistaken) that all alcoholic beverages were toxic, too. Just to be on the safe side, I have determined never again to eat honey produced by inebriated bees.

As I down my third pink gin of the day, it occurs to me that someone once told me (I am sure they were mistaken) that all alcoholic beverages were toxic, too. Just to be on the safe side, I have determined never again to eat honey produced by inebriated bees.

alcohol is toxic, it's why the term 'LICENSED TO SELL BY RETAIL ALL INTOXICATING LIQUOR FOR CONSUMPTION EITHER ON OR OFF THE PREMISES' is above pub doors.

hint, intoxicating contains 'TOXIC'

http://www.alcoholism-solutions.com/alcohol-poisoning-statistics.html

alcohol is toxic, it's why the term 'LICENSED TO SELL BY RETAIL ALL INTOXICATING LIQUOR FOR CONSUMPTION EITHER ON OR OFF THE PREMISES' is above pub doors.

hint, intoxicating contains 'TOXIC'

http://www.alcoholism-solutions.com/alcohol-poisoning-statistics.html

Nah - that's just a vicious rumour spread by the rich to discourage the poor from enjoying themselves. If alcohol was toxic i'd be dead years ago. - by the way DD do you take your gin pinkers in or out?

PINK GIN !!

Angustera bitters I believe contains Phenyl Phthalene a deadly and highly toxic chemical used as an indicator in most chemistry labs.

I like GIN... Oxygin, hydrogin nitrogin............................................

Back