A class

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
If you were taking a beekeeping class as in teaching it......

What five points would you want to ensure your class understood?

PH

Hygiene.
Hive inspection to keep disturbance to minimum, (using cloths rather than smoke, where possible)..
Bee behaviour and how to correct a 'rude' hive.
Queen qualities
How to inspect for disease

Might you explain how to correct a rude hive please?

PH

I'd want them to understand me for starters.

Prepare with a lesson plan;

• Good old Safety Elf for starters, (Risk Assessment, Duty of care, PPE, First Aid)?
  • Introduction to Equipment
  • Anatomy/lifecycle of bees
  • Inspections/Swarm control
  • Maladies & infections

E.D.P.C.

Explanation Demonstration Participation

Followed by Confirmation

How to type, "www.beekeepingforum.co.uk"?

It will make you poor
Do you like insects
Can you run fast
Did you know grown men can cry
Honey taste good

How to identify diseases and the right methods of action against them.
Stores pollen present.
Egg's lava
Swarm control
Bee space

Added as six, treat them with respect, they are wild!

Last edited:

PH

1 you WILL get stung
2.bees don't read books
3. What can go wrong will go wrong at some stage.
4. Listen to advice but make your own mind up.
5. Have spare hives, frames and foundation to hand no matter how recently you bought your bees.

Bonus point
6. It's an expensive hobby to start.

It doesn't have to be costly though, a bit of thought and you keep cost low. Look at fishing, a good rod and reel plus floatation suit plus end take and rod rest plus bait and you have gone way past beekeeping cost! I know I do both: )

1. When to close up and come back tomorrow
2. Being prepared so that you have everything to hand when you're doing an inspection - what should you have to hand
3. The importance of the bees having plenty of room
4. The importance of not being sentimental with old queens - having young queens will help you control swarming.
5. The bees lifecycle, including queen lifecycle, and how you can use this knowledge to interpretat what is happening (expansion, contraction, brood break, swarmed, accidental loss of queen etc)

1) The bees have probably got it covered, follow their lead, try not to get in the way

2) Its a super-organism so it isnt always following rules that you/we know, or all the time, or at all. Mathematicians might expess this as being "stoachastic"as opposed to "deterministic", some beekeepers express "Bees do nothing invariably

3) Bees have this energy thing going - storing it for raining cold days, keeping warm all year... its complex.

4)If you think something is simple about them you probably have misunderstood.

5)Beekeepers are often wrong and that includes you

1 Lifecycle of the bee
2 Equipment and how to use it.
3 Hands on experience if possible handling bees and spotting queens.
4 Swarm management
5 Pests and diseases.

How long is the course ?
It's not complicated and very logical mostly :) as you know.

What they should expect to see in a hive. How you would like to categorize this is up to you

It doesn't have to be costly though, a bit of thought and you keep cost low. Look at fishing, a good rod and reel plus floatation suit plus end take and rod rest plus bait and you have gone way past beekeeping cost! I know I do both: )

Dear lord what are those reel parts and rod eyes made from Platinum ? , when i had the boat i spent around 300 quid on fishing gear, when i got the bees i am out of pocket in the region of 3k maybe more up to now and i still need more equipment.

Dear lord what are those reel parts and rod eyes made from Platinum ? , when i had the boat i spent around 300 quid on fishing gear, when i got the bees i am out of pocket in the region of 3k maybe more up to now and i still need more equipment.

Wel wiith 200,0000 hives 3k is a bargain

PH

1 Different hives and hive parts and how to assemble those parts from a flat pack. followed by a cuppa.

2 Safety Equipment, bee suit/ gloves /wellies and so on with a practical lesson on how to suit up and light a smoker and keep it burning. followed by a cuppa.

3 How to secure and work out the right location for a beginner apiary and how to level a stand + floor and place the hive parts on it, followed by a cuppa and a toilet break.

4 Once all that has been covered in much more detail a hands on hive inspection and a question moment. followed by a cuppa.

5 common diseases and varroa control . then tallyho .

I'm sure we could or the more experienced could write a lot more on the subject but i started alone from books and the internet and that is roughly the route i took in my first 6 months apart from the cuppas.. lol

Remind them that Spring / Summer Holidays are a no go anymore! Lost too many swarms to this!

Latest posts

Back