A beekeepers christmas day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you had a lovely day and the presents were what you wanted.

My sister put in a lovely kitchen and was so terrified of getting water drops on the wooden worktop by the sink all the washing up was taken downstairs to the utility room for washing. *shrug*

PH

I hope you had a lovely day and the presents were what you wanted.

My sister put in a lovely kitchen and was so terrified of getting water drops on the wooden worktop by the sink all the washing up was taken downstairs to the utility room for washing. *shrug*

PH
Sounds about the crucks of it, after a bottle of wine or two that thought went out the window, more interested in playing with the new brio technology and app on my phone... I didn't buy it for gus it was for me really.
Merry Christmas PH.

In the lead-up to Christmas, two of my teenage grand-daughters came to help prepare food for Christmas Day. They wanted to make biscuits – honey biscuits.

Honey biscuits were always a favorite during my childhood, but my mother seemed to only make them for Christmas. I particularly liked the biscuits which had an almond kernel pressed into them before they were baked, as the almond had a lovely roasted flavour after the biscuits had been baked.

We had biscuit cutters of several shapes – star, heart, angel – but I thought that it might be nice to have some other biscuit shape as well. After thinking about what shape biscuit cutter I might be able to make, the idea of a hexagon shape seemed very appropriate. Not only would it be easy to cut this shape from a sheet of dough, but there would be very few scrap pieces of dough which would need to be gathered and rolled again.

Of course, it would be important to top the biscuits with almond kernels as well. The symbolism of having a hexagonal (honey-comb cell) shaped honey biscuit, topped with an almond, seemed like a fitting tribute to the bees which not only made the honey, but pollinated the almonds as well.

What bee gifts did you have? I had a beekeeper veil, handy when I'm mowing the lawn to pop it on rather than the full suit, loved that. Bee socks:love: wildflower bombs, amazing. The book grey bees as recommended here. Bee pollen and lip salve, and a bug hotel. Other bits and pieces but these were my favourites
:nature-smiley-013::nature-smiley-013::nature-smiley-013::nature-smiley-013:

Husband made me a pretend Langstroth hive

Attachments

• 638BDB24-AF66-49C5-B31B-B111944F5E1B.jpeg
    638BDB24-AF66-49C5-B31B-B111944F5E1B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DA3C17F0-76AE-4DED-85C6-6211431B7E7E.jpeg
    DA3C17F0-76AE-4DED-85C6-6211431B7E7E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 9217ECC9-3B25-454D-BA29-59AD8DE1C706.jpeg
    9217ECC9-3B25-454D-BA29-59AD8DE1C706.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • AF5430B4-CCB5-4A3C-81EC-698BFD29C191.jpeg
    AF5430B4-CCB5-4A3C-81EC-698BFD29C191.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 0FB35E96-C712-4BF4-9CBA-869470AEA322.jpeg
    0FB35E96-C712-4BF4-9CBA-869470AEA322.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
My girls got their first suits each from me and my wife, XS STBK Professional. A little long but that means they'll fit for longer, one in law was given a hive by another in law, that in law was given an extractor by a third in law and a honey bucket and strainer from me, and they gave me a jar of French chestnut honey, among other bits. Off to see my side of the family shortly...

My husband made me a swarm catcher like the ones sold by the main bee keeping companies. Hopefully I won’t need it, but better safe than sorry.
They are jolly useful. Stan had to cobble one together twice when our “wild” bees swarmed onto the same branch high up over our neighbours field.

In the lead-up to Christmas, two of my teenage grand-daughters came to help prepare food for Christmas Day. They wanted to make biscuits – honey biscuits.

Honey biscuits were always a favorite during my childhood, but my mother seemed to only make them for Christmas. I particularly liked the biscuits which had an almond kernel pressed into them before they were baked, as the almond had a lovely roasted flavour after the biscuits had been baked.

We had biscuit cutters of several shapes – star, heart, angel – but I thought that it might be nice to have some other biscuit shape as well. After thinking about what shape biscuit cutter I might be able to make, the idea of a hexagon shape seemed very appropriate. Not only would it be easy to cut this shape from a sheet of dough, but there would be very few scrap pieces of dough which would need to be gathered and rolled again.

Of course, it would be important to top the biscuits with almond kernels as well. The symbolism of having a hexagonal (honey-comb cell) shaped honey biscuit, topped with an almond, seemed like a fitting tribute to the bees which not only made the honey, but pollinated the almonds as well.
I make honey biscuits too. My parents were Polish and my mother too had her own Polish recipe.
No almonds for me though.
My daughter avoids much dairy and instead used to drink almond milk. A quick cyber tour round the cost to the bees in pollinating almonds and she’s substituted it with oat milk.

Yes, always makes me chuckle when these vegematartians and vogons who quote animal welfare as their reason for not eating properly but who then go ahead and guzzle gallons of almond milk (or nut juice as we call it here) with scant regard as to the great harm the whole industry does to all pollinators, insects including honey bees and their welfare

Lovely job.
I found that you don’t actually need a drawstring unless you can release it super quickly. Fiddling with it is a nuisance.
Pole up into tree. Knock bees in. Tip into nuc box leaving stragglers in the bag to walk up into entrance

Latest posts

Back