6 Frame Double Brood Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite right too - "stuff for free" is the best stuff in the world !

If possible, you might want to check out whether pallets can be obtained locally. Ask around industrial units etc. Pallets are often free - especially if they're broken, in the way, people keep tripping over them ...

Can be a great source of fair(ish)-quality timber.
LJ
I can get as many pallets as i want but i would have thought the wood dimensions will be wrong for making Brood and Super size boxes.

I can get as many pallets as i want but i would have thought the wood dimensions will be wrong for making Brood and Super size boxes.

Well - if you can get hold of pallets, and assuming you have the time to play at woodworking - then you need never buy a bee-box ever again !

What I do is to first dismantle the pallets to recover the planks, then cut them to length using a cross-cut jig. http://heretics-guide.site90.com/work01.htm (BTW - save the stretchers - they make great hive-stand legs)

Then, run the planks across a router table to clean-up the edges, before gluing them together on a flat surface, using weights and long clamps in a similar manner to this:

m7q79l.jpg

Then, brush over the surface with an angle grinder fitted with a flap disk to clean it up, and add filler to any cracks/nail holes if necessary.

This is what results - lovely wide planks made from seasoned timber ... and for free. Well, 'free-ish' - as there's electrickery to pay for and wear and tear on tools etc - but it's still a very cheap source of well-seasoned usable timber.

dm4qip.jpg

LJ

When I plan a nuc, its main thing is help the colony to build is fast.
Mite treatment means nothing in this game. ...special mite killing features ... Of course not...why nucs need them? A nuc for mite killing...

So I make all nucs by splitting normal polybox. Low tech Job.

You may do the nucs so fancy as you can, but it does not give any payback.

Last edited:
Well - if you can get hold of pallets, and assuming you have the time to play at woodworking - then you need never buy a bee-box ever again !

What I do is to first dismantle the pallets to recover the planks, then cut them to length using a cross-cut jig. http://heretics-guide.site90.com/work01.htm (BTW - save the stretchers - they make great hive-stand legs)

Then, run the planks across a router table to clean-up the edges, before gluing them together on a flat surface, using weights and long clamps in a similar manner to this:

m7q79l.jpg

Then, brush over the surface with an angle grinder fitted with a flap disk to clean it up, and add filler to any cracks/nail holes if necessary.

This is what results - lovely wide planks made from seasoned timber ... and for free. Well, 'free-ish' - as there's electrickery to pay for and wear and tear on tools etc - but it's still a very cheap source of well-seasoned usable timber.

dm4qip.jpg

LJ

Thank You again John, i think i will give the pallets a miss for now, i do not have the tools to get that usable lumber looking like yours especially all them weights lol, food for thought though..;)

When I plan a nuc, its main thing is help the colony to build is fast.
Mite treatment means nothing in this game. ...special mite killing features ... Of course not...why nucs need them? A nuc for mite killing...

So I make all nucs by splitting normal polybox. Low tech Job.

Did hear something..:rolleyes: NO surely it must have been the wind, a old northerly wind,;)

I make all nucs by splitting normal polybox. Low tech Job.

Payback is directly related to expenditure. I find the fastest and most straightforward way of making 5-frame nuc boxes is to simply cut up brood boxes, thusly:

j8lmdk.jpg

28i6hvo.jpg

But - you then have the capital invested in those boxes to recoup before you break-even. However, if your nuc boxes cost nothing (or nothing very much) to build in the first place, then 'payback' becomes a non-issue.
LJ

I tried and made TBHs and Warres from Pallets.
I had neither LJ's skill nor tools.
And teh selction of pallet wood is critical - much is soft , warped or unsuitable.

SO OK for TBHs but boxes? A nogo for me..

(It is also timeconsuming)...

Edit

LJ: thanks for the link. Fascinating...

Last edited:
All good points - especially "time-consuming" and the caution re: warped boards. For me, building with pallet-wood is an indulgence - if I was running a business it would be a much different story.
As it is, I just love turning unwanted materials into half-way useful stuff. Should have been a hippie !
LJ

Latest posts

Back